A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Need some help diagnosing a vibration/shimmy while driving....

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Need some help diagnosing a vibration/shimmy while driving....

I've done a lot of searching and haven't found many posts that have a similar simptoms. I have a '97 Automatic 1.8tQ A4, I get a vibration that feels very much like having a wheel out of balance.(that's originally what I thought the problem was). After having my wheels balanced(no bent wheels either) on a Hunter RF machine I still had the vibration. I'd say it happens most at about 50km/hr and 100km/hr but only when lightly on the throttle, so say totally flat road and on the gas just enough to continue along at 50km/hr. Under acceleration or deceleration(downshifting included) I feel no vibration. I feel the vibration both through the steering wheel and floor/seat.

I'm thinking possibly bad Engine mounts or Tranny mounts?(couldn't see and leaks from them though). Maybe bent drive shaft? (though it sounds like the vibration would get worse under acceleration from what I've read in the FAQ.

Any ideas? Thanks
Old 08-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible warped rotors? CA's?

I had a slight vibration as well. I figured it was my rotors, but i was doing my CA replacment (i had no intentions of this fixing my vibration) and i noticed that the vibration i felt through the steering wheels i gone. I have no idea which arm(s) were the culprit though...kinda weird i thought.

good luck.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks, I have new lower CA's but I guess it could be the uppers...

I also have fairly new rotors on all four corners so hopefully it's not them! I'll look into having the upper CA's checked out though.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tie Rod Ends? (TREs)
Old 08-22-2006, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Maybe, is there any real way to tell if they're bad aside from physical damage...

like a torn boot?
Old 08-22-2006, 07:27 PM

Default I feel ya

i have this same problem from about 60-75 but it clears out once i hit 80 or so. is this like yours?
Old 08-22-2006, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yeah, mine seems to come and go with speed...

almost think it's my imagination sometimes. No one has been able to give me a straight answer, it could be so many things!
Old 08-23-2006, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I (still) have a similar problem ---

only at 70-75 mph. On the gas, no problem. Off the gas, shakes like wheels out of balance. New tires, problem still there. New TREs, problem still there.

Other possibilities: motor/trans mounts, driveshaft.

I'm at a loss on this one.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:54 PM

Default I'm hearing vibration after hitting a high manhole on a road w/o final blacktop

At about 10-15mph, I hit it pretty much center and the impact was probably somewhere in the later half of the first third of the car, maybe even as far back as the middle... would that bend a drive shaft?
Old 09-19-2006, 11:04 AM

Default It's one front tire in my case

So I had a non-dealer, but excellent mechanic check it out... in my case there was no damage to the underbody of the car, so hitting the manhole was not an issue.

The front left tire is damaged. Probably from hitting a bad bump on the highway. My TT is lowered so those things can get painful with the stiffer suspension.

Do I need a complete new set of tires because of quattro or can I just get one replaced?

Quick Reply: Need some help diagnosing a vibration/shimmy while driving....