A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

need turbo rebuilt, help me find somewhere to do it!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need turbo rebuilt, help me find somewhere to do it!!

so i recently bought a car and the guy had the turbo rebuilt at a shop then installed it himself. car was running perfect then it took a crap. white smoke and a few other problems, went to a shop and they said a few blowby lines and such were cracked/broken. so they fix the lines, now the exhaust it just billowing with white smoke, no power, runs like crap. well the seals on the turbo are shot, probly burned up. the shop says that the guy probly didnt replace the oil feed line and caused the flow of oil to the turbo to cease then causeing the turbo to overheat/not lubricate. so the shop quoted me 1,700 after labor for a rebuilt turbo + oil feed line from audi. i want to find somewhere (hopefully local) to rebuild the turbo then ill have the shop put it in. ive tried searching online but cant find specific quality places that rebuild turbos for audi. if anyone can help me out this is my daily driver and i need my baby back. sorry for the novel and thank you for your help/time.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

the car is A4 1.8T quattro stock k03

thanks
Old 01-24-2010, 08:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Where are you located...sorry if you already posted this, but I did not see it.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was able to find these guys...they seem to be much cheaper than what you have already been quoted, but that is only to rebuild the turbo, not for removal, and installation

http://www.gpopshop.com/rebuilding.h...FRYeDQodVnjUIA
Old 01-25-2010, 05:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought a rebuild kit from Gpopshop for my Garret T3/4 that I had on my Miata. The job is really, really easy to do it you have any mechanical skills. If it is blowing white smoke, burning oil or coolant, then seals should be all you need. You will need to separate the compressor housing, remove the compressor wheel from the shaft, remove the compressor housing back plate from the CHRA, remove the turbine housing and the shaft, and replace the cir clips on the shaft. Remove the cir clips in the CHRA drop out the bearing, replace all those parts. It is easy as pie, really. You can even follow the diagram on gpopshop to see how everything comes apart and goes back together. The only thing to be careful of is bending the shaft when you are taking the compressor nut off. A bench vise is ideal to hold the turbo while you take that nut off.
You may want to replace the gaskets on the turbine and flange.

You will probably see a little white smoke after you reinstall the turbo. That is due the residual oil left in the exhaust. It will go away with time.

Good Luck!
Old 01-25-2010, 05:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by grmncrlvr
I bought a rebuild kit from Gpopshop for my Garret T3/4 that I had on my Miata. The job is really, really easy to do it you have any mechanical skills.
What did you do about balancing the re-assembled CHRA? Take it to a machine shop?

If the OP finds this kind of surgery daunting, he could also look for a complete CHRA to swap for his wrecked one. Turbo International comes to mind. They supply good-quality aftermarket stuff. He'd have to find a dealer in his area.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by slappy_dunbar
What did you do about balancing the re-assembled CHRA? Take it to a machine shop?

If the OP finds this kind of surgery daunting, he could also look for a complete CHRA to swap for his wrecked one. Turbo International comes to mind. They supply good-quality aftermarket stuff. He'd have to find a dealer in his area.
I didn't see the need to balance anything. I don't feel that it is absolutely necessary to balance the shaft unless you see obvious signs. The blades were all intact without damage and I didn't have any shaft play. My seals were compromised because my crankcase became pressurized and the oil didn't have anywhere to drain. I could make the wheel on my T3/4 spin just by blowing on it, . Now, if you have chunks of blades missing or you have excessive shaft play due to worn bearings then perhaps. Those can make the shaft wobble, and cause a balance issue, but even then I would buy new wheels and a turbine shaft, or a new turbo, before I have the old turbine shaft rebalanced. Just like I don't turn old brake rotors, I just replace them.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks for the help. my father and i could probly do the work but it would take weeks due to our conflicting schedules. so i have to have a shop do it n get it back quick. i check out that link and the place seems pretty legit. im worried that its not just the seals that its the bearings and maybe the housing are ruined due to not enough oil flow so they overheated and stuff. im going to contact the local shop and see if they can contact g-popshop and get something going. i appreciate all the help and the time.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

wouldnt it be cheaper to possibly buy a new k03 or k04 turbo?
Old 01-26-2010, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Isn't the K03 or K04 still running above $900?

Quick Reply: need turbo rebuilt, help me find somewhere to do it!!