A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Neuspeed chip installed! Do it!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-1998, 06:14 AM
RobS

Default Neuspeed chip installed! Do it!

After 11 months of having my A4 I finally installed a NS chip on Saturday. It took 11 months for several reasons. Being a Mech. Engineer I was a little leary about modifying the car from it's original design, and the biggy--money. Looking back on it, if I would have known what the chip did I would have used cloth diapers on my son for a month to buy the chip. So after seeing what others were saying and some research I concluded that the chip would not adversely affect the engine (my opinion, no flames).<p>I mailed the ECU off Thursday morning and suprisingly got it back on Saturday. I reinstalled the ECU, put the screws back in the cover plate and it was time. I was a little scared from past posts about people having fault codes and warning lights. I put the key in and left it in the on position for a few minutes for the car to get acquanted with it's new brain. No problems so far, every normal. So I started the car. Everything sounded and acted as though it was stock, no warning lights etc. I eased out of the garage and idled to the main road still taking it easy. I immediately noticed that the car felt more powerful at very low speeds, Idle and just above. Once on the main road I was kinda held back by traffic, I noticed an increase in power but nothing substantial. Finally I was first at a stop light. I am not in to drag racing so I didn't launch the car abruptly, just kind of eased it up into 2nd. Then it happened, i shifted into 3rd at about 2500 RPM's and floored it. Acceleration up to 3200 was improved, after hitting 3200 a major rush of power hit and put me and my screaming wife back in our seats. It was nothing uncontrollable, just more power. I ran out of road and had to shut it down at about 5300 RPM's. Needless to say, it's now going to take me a whole lot longer to run to the grocery store for bread.<p>RobS<br>RMAC<br>98.5 Laser Red 1.8T QMS NSC oh and mud flaps, tint, RMAC and A4.org stickers, baby seat and right rear baby sun shade <-----------best mod yet!
Old 12-14-1998, 06:23 AM
Steve S.

Default Ut oh...halucinations again!

Everybody disregard this post...Rob has obviously overdosed on salt. The poor audi owners in Salt Lake City and vicinity have been severely affected by salt....its really sad.<p>Now you gotta get that G-tech Pro thingy and go out to the flats and test it out. Weeeeeeeeee!<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM<p>P.S. I don't know why it took you so long to chip it. :-)<br>
Old 12-14-1998, 06:34 AM
RobS

Default Re: Salt

Steve, I think the Salt actually effects ones ability to soundly make decisions, ergo (whew, were did that come from) delaying the decisions to install afformentioned chip.<p>RobS<br>Headed for Salt Flats with booster rocket upgrade installed<p>That reminds me of something. Kinda funny. While working for the BLM one year mee and a buddy were out there painting the lines one year for speed week (an 8" x 24" block every 50 yards for 10 miles), that might have contributed to my mental state also. Any ways, I drove for 4.3 miles with my eyes completely shut, with a co pilot of course. Is there a record for that?<p>I was working to go to college so I could afford an A4 <-------A4 content.<p>RobS
Old 12-14-1998, 06:56 AM
Steve Mac

Any engineer worth his salt would have taken a similar amount of time to make the decision! ;-) n/t
Old 12-14-1998, 07:51 AM
JohnS

Default RMAC Time Trials...

Rob,<p>I've got a G-Tech Pro. Let's head for the salt flats and see what fun we can have one of these days!<p>JohnS<br>1.8TQM Neuspeed Brilliant Yellow.
Old 12-14-1998, 07:55 AM
Todd H

Default Unrelated question re; mudflaps

Rob:<p>I'm glad you like the chip! I have the TAP Stage 2 with exhaust and I was equally impressed by the rush. Regarding the mudflaps, did you order your mudflaps from Clair.com? If so, do you find that they scrape / rub on driveways, speedbumps? Anything peculiar regarding their functon with sports pkg?<p>-Todd H
Old 12-14-1998, 08:11 AM
RobS

Default Re: Unrelated question re; mudflaps

Hey Todd, I bought my flaps from the dealer. It came out about the same with our club discount and stuff. The rear ones will scrape while going through some dips, and if cornering on some uneven roads. It sounds bad but doesn't hurt anything. The flaps are VERY effective in reducing splash up on the car.
Old 12-14-1998, 08:15 AM
RobS

Default For sure next spring, or whenever they dry out!

I would also like to check out the top speed. BTW what does your G-tech. say with the NS chip. Oh and pass my thanks on to Aaron.<p>RobS
Old 12-14-1998, 08:53 AM
JohnS

Default Re: For sure next spring, or whenever they dry out!

I haven't gotten around to testing it. I need to find a good spot to blast around that isn't frequented by the Law. There are so many Sheriffs around my house all the time, I can't do it too well.<br>BTW, we have quattro, we don't have to wait for them to dry out! <p>JohnS<br>
Old 12-14-1998, 09:11 AM
RobS

Default I think we are on to something.

How bout this? Wait till the Salt Flats freeze(?) and have about 1-4" of snow and have a meeting out there. Maybe stay overnight or something. That would be a blast. I'm not sure about the flats in winter though. Do they freeze? If not, I think we would need a swamp buggy.

Quick Reply: Neuspeed chip installed! Do it!