A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Neuspeed Rear Sway Bar Support Brackets

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-1999, 10:50 AM
Rob B.

Default Neuspeed Rear Sway Bar Support Brackets

I recently received a letter from Neuspeed regarding a possible problem with their rear sway bar application. Apparently, with the use of the bigger 22 mm rear sway bar, the A4 rear end may experience some "flexing." This "flexing" -- in some instances (racing) -- has been known to cause either cracking or breakage in the subframe where the sway bar attaches. Neuspeed claims to have addressed this problem and has offered two solutions: 1) a free set of "support brackets" to be attached (does this mean welded or bolted on?); or 2) a free swap of the 22 mm rear sway bar for their 19mm rear sway bar and the support brackets.<p>Does anybody know the specifics of how these support brackets are attached? I am not contemplating doing it myself. I would just like to know what is involved.<p>It's good to know that Neuspeed is on top of such matters and doesn't leave its customers high and dry once a problem is discovered with one of their products. By the way, Neuspeed claims that this is not something that affects all A4's. The letter stated that the 22mm setup has been in an 1.8TQ since May 1998 with no problems.
Old 01-22-1999, 11:58 AM
Sharon

Default Of sway bars and support brackets...

I've had the 22mm bar installed on my A4 since May 1998 (for me that's about 18,000 miles). I'm not too easy on my car, fwiw. I have cracks on both sides of my subframe running horizontal, parallel to the ground above the U-clamps. I've had these cracks tig welded. Some people have no damage, some more severe damage.<p>I recently received a 19mm bar and hope to receive the support bracket in the next day or so and will install them this weekend or next. I've seen the bracket on Steve S's car and it appears to be a good fit. It is a bolt on job, no special tools required.<p>If you have the 22mm bar (anyone's bar, not just Neuspeed) check for cracks and consider swapping out or reinforcing the area. If you have a crack get it welded right away.<p>Sharon<br>'97 1.8Tq
Old 01-22-1999, 12:47 PM
Mathieu Lapointe

SteveS : we,re waiting for your pictures!!
Old 01-22-1999, 01:12 PM
Steve S.

Pics taken...not scanned yet. (pls be patient....thx) -
Old 01-22-1999, 02:20 PM
Rob B.

Default Re: Of sway bars and support brackets...

I also drive my A4 with some vigor. As such, I am concerned. With respect to the cracks on your car, did you notice anything different about the car that brought it to your attention or did you find out about the cracks after being put on notice about the potential problem?<p>Thanks for the information and advice.
Old 01-22-1999, 02:21 PM
Rob B.

Default Re: Pics taken...not scanned yet. (pls be patient....thx) -

Does the car drive any differently since you had the support brackets installed? What was the extent of your damage -- if any -- prior to installing the support brackets?<p>Thanks.
Old 01-22-1999, 04:35 PM
Sharon

Default Re: Of sway bars and support brackets...

When one of our brethren had some problems with his car, the problem was identified by the dealer tech (the ever popular Steve Shupe @ Carlsen) who then pointed out the problem area to me, Steve and several others. At that point there was only a slight crack on the passenger side of my car, but it progressed from there.<p>I'll post pictures when I've got the parts and am doing the swap out.<p>Email me for more info if you want it.<p>Sharon<br>97 1.8Tq