A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

New Audi owner needs a few tips...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Audi owner needs a few tips...

Cheers all,
Thanks ahead for having a look and giving me any help you can. I've never owned an Audi before so I'm wondering if I'm in over my head. I found a real gem of a wagon the other day and couldn't resist it. She is a 1999 A4 1.8T wagon. 5 Speed, black on black, leather..the whole package. She seems to be in tip-top shape. Now, the dealer is installing new rear shocks and springs for me as they where making a funny squeak, and put a new motor in the drivers door window. I got a carfax report and it did have a front side collision but seems it was fixed properly as you can't tell by looking. It drives like a dream and pulls like a bull for a little 1.8. At this point I'm in heaven...

Now what should I be on the watch for? and more importantly, what have I gotten myself into? I was supposed to be buying the wife a new sensible car, at this point she still thinks I've done just that. I've read some nasty things about them in the past few days but the money has already been spent and the paperwork signed. Any tips or advice, things to watch out for, would be greatly appreciated and rewarded by a pint if you ever find yourself in the Boston area.

-Scott
Old 12-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've left out a few points...
She has 115,616 miles on her. Interior is perfect, not a spot of rust and the electronics all seem to work. The only thing was the window motor which they are replacing. Again thanks.

Cheers
-Scott
Old 12-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Thi
Audiworld Junior Member

How much did you pay for the car? I bought mine, a month ago w/ 99k miles with a few problems. I've changed alot of things on the car so far and have only driven it 300 miles taking her home. All the work done on it was preventative maintenance. Heres a list of some of my work:

Complete front control arm, tie rod ends, sway bar bushing
SS Brake lines
valve cover gasket
coolant flush
Engine mounts
Trans mounts
Vacuum lines
Front wheel bearings
Accessory belts & tensioner
Left outer CV boot
Fixed headlight stalk switch
Old 12-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I picked it up for 4,000(USD) flat, which seems fair seeing that N.A.D.A quotes it at 6,900 with the options this one has. I see what you are saying with the preventative maintenance. I need to get the car home and take a closer look at her. Carfax shows it having all its regular maintenance done at Audi dealerships, which makes me feel better about it. Did you have a leaking valve cover or was that just something you thought was needed? And what about the," Complete front control arm, tie rod ends, sway bar bushing". Did the car have an existing problem with the steering? Cause that makes me a bit nervous. I drove it, much faster than one should drive a car that they don't even own, and experienced nothing but ease in the steering.

Thanks for the response, good luck with the car and keep in touch. Maybe we can assist each other in future trials and tribulations, if as nothing else than at least as commiserators.

Cheers
-Scott
Old 12-06-2009, 05:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The most obvious item is the timing belt. You can expect to change them every 60 to 70,000. When was it changed last ? Control arms have the same life exceptancy.You will hear some rattling noise or feel slop in the steering wheel when you go over bumps etc.Not sure of prev maint for the 1.8 T as I have a 2.8 If it was Dealer Maint then all the correct fluids have been used and you should be in good shape there.
What I would do is ask around and find a Independant repair shop in your area that works on Euro cars.The Dealer will kill you for what they charge for parts and labor.A 1,200 dollar T- Belt,water pump tensioner etc job will run you 600 at a Ind. shop.Basicaly everthing will be about half price if you find a decent shop, ask on here, maybe someone can direct you in the Boston area. There are many suppliers on here that you can buy the parts you need ,then you just pay for labor, no double dipping by the shop.When you get bored with the power, chip it out and switch rides with the wife.By the way ALL cars have issues, even Hondas and there transmissions. Don't worry, the love affair has kicked in, it's to late and you have been bitten,enjoy it.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So did you buy the Audi, Soobee or neither ? Did you let the wife make the choice ?
Old 12-09-2009, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Scott, don't be too worried about "trials and tribulations". You should be admiring your good taste in cars. Yes, there are a few common trouble spots, the biggie being the timing belt tensioner, but by now your '99 must have the improved version, especially being dealer-serviced. Another that comes to mind is the ABS module, which is an easy do-it-yourself job if it ever comes up. The control arms that Gomer mentioned are something every A4 or Passat will need worked on eventually, but that's not a dire emergency either. My A4 has 185K and has one loose joint out of eight.

In my family we've had Hondas, Fords, a Toyota, Nissans, a VW, and several Audis. By far my personal choice is Audi. Just today, I drove our Accord (40,000 miles) to work because my daughter borrowed the A4; I can't get over the feeling of being in a bland transportation appliance.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update:

Tonight I am the very proud owner of a 1999 Audi A6 Quattro Avant wagon. I had one litterally fall into my lap. Managed to talk my out of the deal for the other car. I lost my $300 deposit but it was worth it. THe car has 138k on it but its a single owner car. Better yet it is a buddies mom. I have complete records for service and it is beautiful. Better yet, I got it for $3000. Saved me a grand over the A4 I was looking at.
All in all I'm very excited, its not the turbo, it has the V6 30 valve engine. She is an automatic which I'm not too excited about but it has the 5 speed auto. So I can at least pretend to shift : ) Car is white as well, I'll work on it. Small exhaust leak, and the right side blinkers don't work. Also has a small valve cover leak, but I can fix all those things myself.
The wife almost sh*t when I came home with it tonight. A total surprise for her. She thought it was going to be the A4, she knows nothing about cars but is impressed by the A6 badge. I can say that I've never owned a more luxurious feeling car. So thanks all of you for your advice and help. I will be around, sadly in the A6 forums more often. I hope the group of guys there is as helpful as you all have been.

I'll post some pictures when it stops sleeting out there.

Cheers
-Scott
Old 12-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice, so you did not get the A6 from the dealer.Lucky that your bud knew you were looking for a car.I think you will be happier with the 30v. No turbo to deal with and it has more horsepower.You would of liked that 5 speed better but it is your wife's ride and most women like the auto.Gotta keep them happy. When it's your turn for a new ride you can score that Audi 5-6 speed with the twin turb.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Congrats. Here's some unsolicited advice:

First, take a good look at that oil leak before you buy anything. It's more likely that you have a cam adjuster seal, cam plug or cam seal leak than a valve cover gasket. Second, your signal light issue could be a problem with the blinker relay (part of the hazard switch) or it could be the front light socket. Third, the car is an automatic. Do not drive it like a stick. My recipe for long transmission life is to put the car in drive and leave it there.

Enjoy the new wheels. 99 is one of the best years for C5.

Quick Reply: New Audi owner needs a few tips...