A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

New automatic headlamp levelling device

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-1999, 05:35 PM
Jason M

Default New automatic headlamp levelling device

Here is something I read on the hella.de site tonite. If the LLtek Xenon lamps don't come with all available parts for the self levelling system, this is a choice.<p><br>Bye-bye to the knurled wheel!<p>New automatic headlamp levelling device for vehicles in all classes<p>Although a manual headlamp leveller is legally required in all new vehicles manufactured since 1<br>January 1990, dazzle due to loaded vehicles and uncorrected headlamp settings is still an everyday<br>occurrence on the road. The reason for this is that many drivers are insufficiently informed about<br>their car's manual headlamp leveller and its function, or even that some drivers just enjoy the<br>better long-distance view and flout the law!<p>This situation could be remedied by an automatic headlamp leveller that changes the headlamp<br>setting automatically in accordance with the load status of the vehicle as required in vehicles with<br>xenon headlamps since April of 1996. Until now, such automatic headlamp levelling systems have<br>been relatively complex and expensive, so that they have not yet been firmly established as<br>standard equipment, especially in the compact and lower middle class.<p>Based on over 20 years of know-how in development and production of headlamp levellers, Hella<br>has now developed a system integrating an axle sensor and a control device in a single module,<br>which can be produced and installed at much lower cost than previous systems in which these two<br>functions were physically separated. This system will go into series production at the end of<br>1998.<p>This headlamp levelling device with integrated sensors is based on an inductive vehicle level<br>sensor that registers vehicle-to-road angle at the rear axle by means of a non-contact, no-wear<br>system. To realize this, a number of coils fed with current are attached to a circuit board so as to<br>generate a magnetic field. Depending on the relative angle of the vehicle body, a mechanical level<br>moves a metallic rotor over this board, influencing the electromagnetic field. In this way, the<br>vehicle-to-road angle is measured and transformed directly into data by means of an evaluation<br>ASIC also integrated in the unit, a protective switch and a microcontroller. This data is used to<br>regulate headlamp range with the help of electrical servomotors on the headlamps.<p>Besides the no-wear feature, temperature resistance and a high level of precision are further<br>advantages of this integrated sensor control device. The sensor zero position is individually<br>adjustable. The sensor functions over the entire adjustment range with the same high level of<br>linearity.<p>Produced in sufficiently large counts, this headlamp levelling device with integrated sensors is an<br>attractive alternative to current manual devices in terms of production and installation costs. Its<br>automatic function reduce driver stress and increases traffic safety for all, since it avoids the risk<br>of dazzling oncoming traffic.<p>As part of a building-block system, this device can also be used to replace the headlamp levellers<br>already installed in cars equipped with xenon headlamps to realize an additional dynamic control<br>feature that compensates not only changes in vehicle-to-road angle resulting from vehicle load,<br>but deceleration and acceleration as well.
Old 01-19-1999, 08:14 PM
Ray Calvo

Far as I know, feds say this is a no-no in the US
Old 01-19-1999, 09:30 PM
ScottSt

Default Re: New automatic headlamp levelling device

FWIW, the new Lexus GS400 Xenon setup is auto-levelling..., so it appears to be legal in the states.
Old 01-20-1999, 04:21 AM
Jason M

Default As far as HID headlamps go...

You are right, self levelling is not aloud here in North America.<p>As far as HID headlamps go I think self-levelling is a requirement, as they tend to dazzle oncoming traffic on bumby/hilly roads. I wouldn't be surprised if these lamps come with the motors on the lamps, but maybe not the actual levelling sensor. we'll see..
Old 01-20-1999, 11:56 AM
SKSmith

Default I have some!

<br>I purchased from a connection through my dealer, european Bosch, glass,inside the lensemarker lights, with H7 bulbs, ...and motor drives on the vertical adjustment. They have a three connector sealed motor, powering a worm gear,pulling the lense in and out at the base . They can be manually adjusted as well. I played with the wiring a little and was able to get them to run only one way and not back.I am not interested in this feature so I did not continue my experimentation. I believe these lights are either for the UK or Asia. The Z beam that is aimed at the side of the road on these lights is on the left side. I solved this problem by buying one Bosch lense for US roads for the riht side.