A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

New UUC shift knobs - steel and CF/steel - now available for A4

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default holy crap that's 3x the weight of a RKII???? Any tranny issues here?

The idea of a **** that heavy stressing the fork, or something to that effect?

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 02-25-2003, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Rob, what's UUC's return policy?

ive been in love with my RKII for the 2 1/2 years ive had it, but i am really interested in the idea of this knobbie being alot heavier to smooth my 1-2 shifts...

If i buy and try it, is there a 30 day return policy...or what is your return policy.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 02-25-2003, 05:34 PM

Default Re: holy crap that's 3x the weight of a RKII???? Any tranny issues here?

When I find the person that has been spreading ideas of "heavy shift ***** are bad", I know I will find an idjit pretending to be an engineer. <b>That's not <i>you</i>, you're just responding to something you heard.</b>

The Audi shifter mechanism could only be further removed from the transmission or any "shift forks" if it was in the car parked next to it.

You could take a sledgehammer and pound your shift lever until it fell through the bottom of the car. All you would have damaged (besides your shift lever, ****, and twisted gray wood console) is the floorpan where you made a big hole.

The Audi shifter mechanism consists of the shifter itself, and then a series of connected rods with joints to the transmission - something about 3 feet long. There is no load bearing part between the shifter and the transmission.

There is always the warning of "do not rest your hand on the shifter, you'll damage your transmission." I don't rest my hand there, but by the same token I have never seen a transmission damaged by a hand-rester.

Take the concept a little further, do you have any idea how much weight a rested hand puts down? Try it - grab a postal scale and rest your hand while you're sitting, just above knee level. Did you get to 10lbs? 12lbs? What, your postal scale does not go high enough. <b>Exactly</b> - it's a lot of weight, and Audi engineers have already realized people leave their hand there.

So if no 15lb hand-resters have damaged a transmission in any proveable, conclusive, or anything beyond anecdotal way, how on earth could a barely-over-1lb **** do anything detrimental?

Armchair engineers can save their breath on this one - on BMW message boards, we've beaten this subject to death and determined that anyone with "proof" is either grossly ignorant, or is simply trying to sell a lightweight ****.

HTH,
- Rob
Old 02-25-2003, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Rob, what's UUC's return policy?

Normally, our products have a repair/replace warranty. We're not Macy's, we don't have a "try it, see if you like it" policy in general.

BUT - since we realize this is a luxury/taste sort of purchase, and since I am certain you will absolutely love it, we can bend the rules. If, on the barely remote chance that you do not like it, and you return it in "as new" condition (no batting practive with the steel ball), I will authorize a 100% refund less shipping.

As they say far west on Rt. 78, "Ya can't beat that with a stick."

- Rob
Old 02-25-2003, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Rob what's the weight of the CF knobbie?
Old 02-25-2003, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for the explanation, didn't know there wasn't a direct link in that way...

i think ill order one to try it...the only reason im interested is because i loved how the RK2 smoothed the action, and im hoping a heavier knobbie might further smooth this action for me.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 02-26-2003, 03:21 AM

About the same as the steel - the CF is steel, covered in CF.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:19 PM

Default Thanks, Rob. I'd love to have to option to switch to a

delrin/plastic **** on those hot summer days (maybe others would too?) and I guess I just "feel" faster with a lighter ****. Anyway, keep us posted.

mike2006996@hotmail.com