A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

newb, with wiring question tip to 5spd conv.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newb, with wiring question tip to 5spd conv.

Hi guys, I'm doing a conversion on a 99 aeb tip to manual. However car will not turn over, due to no sig for neutral switch. What wires due I need from the ten point connector that went on the tip trans. Thanks
Old 04-13-2009, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Have you recoded the ECU to a manual trans coding? So I take it (from your asking this) you didn't swap the harness from a manual car into your automatic trans car? You'll need to rig the wire to the clutch switch to be "proper". Depending on what year your car is you're going to have other issues to contend with once you get it running.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is how it started, I love my car and it needed more power, as we all know. So I did a Tapp file 630cc and loved it, but trans had to be in tip, since the ecu was now for a manual car. So then tip died 2 months later, so here I am done with transformation from piece of tip to ye hah. but cant start car until sig is found.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The harness i got was from a 98 and some connections didn't fit, so, I put mine back in. As I new some how it could work.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Side note - how did you deal with the transmission pilot bearing? As for the wires - is the ECU coded for manual trans? Can you look at the manual trans harness and find what wires go to the clutch interlock safety switch? You may get lucky and find that they correlate somehow to the tip neutral/park wires.... long shot though.

I don't have the wire diagrams in front of me - i can look tomorrow for you. We can figure this out!
Old 04-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

LMAO, good call on pilot bearing. I used a 99 2.8 pilot its 24mm in od and 15mm id however it has a plastic seal in front and case backing, so i milled them off and presto fit perfectly.

I did look at the two harnesses, and didn't find what I was looking for. Besides the salvage yard wouldn't let me splice and dice their harness to check further.

I have a bentley manual but just can't track what I need. P.S. I came from the import world as my dad is an OG honda tech, and the wiring schematics are differently laid out then vag stuff. ME no entiendo. lol But for sure I will be so gratefull if you can help me out. Thanks a bunch.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Nice work on the bearing - I was wondering if you swapped the motor to a manual crank or?? I will look tomorrow, I have several wire diagrams at the shop that are more detailed/easier to go through than the Bentley manual.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks man, ya the pilot took me 3 days to figure out what would work but I got it. Also thank you very much for your help; these bent. manuals kind of suck in my opinion,they just leave info out, like they give you a taste but not the whole deal.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:23 PM
I was lost, now I'm found

Bentley is better than Haynes Im sure.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uhh, that's because they write them for factory-trained techs who should know the stuff they left out already. Most of what's left out is common repair knowledge among the cars.

Quick Reply: newb, with wiring question tip to 5spd conv.