A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Nice Day Today= Wash/Wax/Debadge My Car! I need some links...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here are the steps I take for a full detail...

-wash entire vehicle with a good automotive soap (I've been using a Meguiars car wash soap, but think I may switch over to P21S Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo)
-chamois dry with a mf towel, or use an Absorber synthetic chamois
-clay bar with Clay Magic, and a solution of 1 cap full of car wash soap with 12oz of water in a spray bottle
-3M IHG to buff off residue and also polish paint scratches and any other imperfections
-Klasse AIO
-2 to 3 coats of Klasse SG (with 8 to 24 hours in between layers depending on temp/humidity, etc)
-weekly waxing using carnauba layering over the Klasse SG coats using either P21S, or One Grand Blitz (really adds depth to the shine)

Always buff off polish, compounds, glazes or waxes using a mf (microfiber, NOT motherf--ing) towels or clothes.

Cheers,

Randy
Old 04-11-2003, 10:30 AM

Thanks so much man that write up is exactly what I was looking for!
Old 04-11-2003, 10:37 AM

Default DAM!!! You put alot of time this is what I do

Wash
Dry
Polish
Wax
I do not use anything really fancy but hey I have tons of swirl marks. My car is black so it only stays clean for one day anyway
Old 04-11-2003, 10:49 AM

Default Well... I usually do the full detail twice a year...

So, completing the entire routine isn't so bad.

My weekly detailing usually consists of washing the car, and then applying a coat of carnauba wax to the car. The Klasse AIO and SG combined will protect from the elements for 6-8 months so I figure it's a good basis to start with, and then layer the carnauba on top for additional protection.

Cheers,

Randy
Old 04-11-2003, 11:00 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default That's why your car looks the way it does!

It's not beyond hope, but it does take some time to deal with it, and restore the paint to "nearly new" condition.

90% of the results you see after a wax are not a result of which wax you use, but the prep steps you've used on the paint up until the waxing phase.

Talk to DigitalA4...we did a number on his 4 year old paint. Frankly, it wasn't as thorough as I would have liked (we could have done better, but we needed another 4 hours...as it was, the entire routine took 8 hours with two people working on it), but the results were still damn good! We even managed to remove some hazy patches he left on the paint (compounding marks) from a previous DIY repair.

It just takes some time and patience. If you own a black car, you're practically obligated to do it right! There is nothing nicer than a black car that's been detailed really well!
Old 04-11-2003, 11:06 AM

Default You wax it every week?

I am lucky if I can wash it once a week, my wife drives the car every day. So it is hard to take care of it the way I would like
Old 04-11-2003, 11:08 AM

Default in sept I did the clay bar, IHG and wax

It has been wash not even 10 times since.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:25 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The problem is...

The claybar was a good first step, as you need to remove embedded contaminents from the paint before you do anything else.

1. You really need to start from scratch. If the paint is heavily swirled, you should follow the claybar with a good polish. There are many different kinds and grades of polishes, and they all have one thing in common. They grind down your clearcoat making it smooth and level so there are effectively no swirlmarks left behind. You really need a machine to accomplish this well. For the home users, the porter cable 7424 has been the ticket. For those that don't have access to power tools, take it to a pro to have the paint polished.

3. Depending on the polish used above, you may or may not want to follow with something that will give the paint a rich deep shine. P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser or 3M Imperial Hand Glaze are two products that come to mind. Both products feed the paint with oils, and the 3M product contains fillers to temporarily help hide scratches and other imperfections. The 3M is a little more labor intensive to work with though.

4. Wax. Blitz and P21S are among my favorites. Several layers with at least a 24 hour window between each layer is the best approach.

On an ongoing basis, you'll want to do two things to maintain the paint. Both are rather easy (the bulk of the work is in the steps outlined above).

1. Take care when washing and drying the paint. Use products and techniques that will minimize the introductions of swirls.

2. Reapply a layer of wax every month or two

About every year you may need to revisit the polishing phase, and do a top down detail.

It's really that simple. It does take some time when you're starting out, just because you have to fix the mistakes you've already made. Once you get things fixed up, and you understand how to maintain it, it's not a lot of work. As far as your car washing habit...that'll change, as soon as you realize how much better your car will look with these new habits in place. You'll be out there every weekend washing the car!
Old 04-11-2003, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Raj speaks the truth. It's amazing what a little (ok a lot) of TLC can do.

I would've rushed and skipped some stuff but Raj wouldn't have any of it. Things came out extremely well! A lot of the swirl marks were reduced significantly. Let me recommend that you use a random orbital buffer for the paint cleansing / glazing stages. It really makes a huge difference. Waxing (by hand) is just the icing on the cake.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:05 PM

Default Yeah... In the Summer, I wax once a week...

My fiancee usually works Saturday mornings, so I try to take care of it then... It's about the only time during the week that I have to dedicate to the car.

Quick Reply: Nice Day Today= Wash/Wax/Debadge My Car! I need some links...