A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

No Gears / Transmission Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 05:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Gears / Transmission Problems?

I desperately need help with this people. Bottom line: 1996 A4, automatic transmission, 121,000 miles only drives in 2nd gear and reverse. On the coldest day in Central New York so far this year I started my car to leave home for the day. I shifted into D but didn't notice any thing wrong because my driveway has a decline to the road. However, when I got on level ground I noticed that I had absolutely no power. The tachometer would respond when I pressed the gas pedal but the car would just not move.

I decided to let the engine warm up but that didn't really help. After a while I kept my feet on the gas and miraculously started moving and got to 20 mph in D but when I got to a light and came to a full stop it didn't move again. I don't know how many RPMs it took to get the car finally moving because I didn't think that that had anything to do with it until I read some of the posts. After the car stopped and would not move when in D at the light I reversed safely out of traffic. I then shifted through the gears and noticed that all I had was 2nd and reverse. I was able to drive home a few blocks away in 2nd gear.

When coming home the day before that I remember thinking that the car felt sluggish and I stepped down on the accelerator hard but didn't get the usual jump in power that I usually feel. I also noticed sometime before that that every once in a while when I went up hills there would be a bang when the car shifted. What might the problem be? Is the transmission fluid low and, if so, how do I verify (I know that there is no dipstick but where is the reservoir)? Or is it the transmission period? Also, would it be alright to drive in 2nd gear about 5 miles to the nearest transmission place at about 30 mph, or should I just have it towed (flat bed of course) to the nearest Audi dealer? Sorry for all the questions but I really don't know what to do about this and I'm worried that its going to cost a fortune. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:55 AM
Joey T

Default Gonna cost you a fortune.

Even if it is only ow on fluid, and you fill it, you will have issues.

Where are you? How far from 12302?
Old 01-20-2007, 06:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Gonna cost you a fortune.

Well that is definately not what I wanted to hear.

I'm about 45 minutes away (12143). Maybe I should go to Langan Audi East or West but if I get it towed there but can't get it fixed right away (I'm a student until May) I will have to get it towed back home again.

This is all a whole lot of trouble.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:32 AM

Default don't panic yet

when i had a 96 with auto i noticed the "clunking" when shifting so i took it in to get the fluid changed, it solved the problem and ran trouble free after that. BUT, and are you ready for the rest??
it took 9 liters to flush and fill the tranny and that stuff is brutally expensive. it cannot just be drained and refilled, it has to be filled and circulated to clean then drained again (3 times i think) to properly clean the system. it was a couple of hundred dollars worth of fluid and labor. it is way cheaper than a replaced tranny but as audi claims their fliud is not lifetime. this may be the place to start, hope this helps you
Old 01-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Joey T

Default NOT LANGAN!

I work at a indy shop in Scotia.

I can only promise not to rip you off and a 10% AW discount.

Shoot me an e-mail.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:16 AM

Default EH sorry joey t didn't realize you were a tech

you think the flush might do it?
Old 01-20-2007, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd that!!
Old 01-20-2007, 09:48 AM
Joey T

Default Service writer.

It would be, possibly, a $192 gamble. Plus towing.

So he would have to decide if he wants to spend $200 now on a maybe or spend thousands on a for sure fix.

I *could* get it here and simply refill it, I have all the tools here. ButI have a 04GTI and an 02 Poonetta here ( Clutch and engine ) besides my other cars.

Teh driveway is teh full
Old 01-20-2007, 09:59 AM

Default he will have to give it a try

a repair or rebuild on the tranny is probably going to be more than a 96 is worth. i did the flush and change as soon as i noticed it was starting to "clunk" just from park to R or D.
Hopefully his isn't too far gone
Old 01-21-2007, 06:42 AM

Default sign up for AAA plus if you need a long tow. its cheaper because you get 100 mile tows, and

the price of the membership is cheaper than the tow, plus you get 4 100-mile tows per year.

Quick Reply: No Gears / Transmission Problems?