A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Non-Bose Stereo Upgrade Questions (already read all archives)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Non-Bose Stereo Upgrade Questions (already read all archives)

I have a 98.5 A4 with the non-bose (non-premium) sound system. I'd like to get better sound out of the stereo but don't know where to begin considering I'd like to save money. Do you guys know any of the following:
1) Are the stock speakers worth keeping?
2) Will simply getting a new head unit make the system better at all?
3) Could I simply add an amp to the current head unit and buy new speakers?
4) Will a new head unit mess up any wiring like the keyless entry?
5) Has anyone done a nice upgrade for about $500?
TIA for any and all help!
p.s. I have already done tons of searches and these were all helpful, but these specific questions remain unanswered (most people spent over a grand on their upgrade, putting in subs, etc.)
Old 03-23-2003, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some answers

I am noit a stereo expert but I have recently found out alot through my own trial an errors of attempting to upgrade my stereo.

First off I have the exact same car as you.
I have a 98.5 A4 with Non-Bose stereo , it has the Concert headedeck.

"1) Are the stock speakers worth keeping?"
--No, not really if your going to upgrading by getting an aftermarket deck and amplifiers then there is no sense in amplyfying stock speakers because they are pretty puny.

2) Will simply getting a new head unit make the system better at all?
--Yes, if you get a decent aftermarket head unit with preouts that has a high RMS wattage per channel you will have a bit of a cleaner , crisper sound over the stock head unit

3) Could I simply add an amp to the current head unit and buy new speakers?
----This is actually the best route as I just found out. The restrictive part of the factory system is not the head unit , but the crappy factory amplifier, getting a decent amplifier and new speakers can prevent you from needing to get an aftermarket head unit to retain the factory look

4) Will a new head unit mess up any wiring like the keyless entry?
--No, it should not

5) Has anyone done a nice upgrade for about $500?

---A nice upgrade is pretty subjective.
For $500 your kind of limiting yourself.

If you are intersted I have a brand new set of Boston Acoustic Pro Components 6.5's (for the rear deck) These speakers are some of the best. They retail for $450 + taxes.

They are brand new , im selling them for $300 + shipping or if your local then pick up is available.

However if you purchase these you would also need (1) A decent amp to take advantage of the 400w they can put out and (2) A decent set of aftermarket fron 5 1/4's because these boston's will completely drown out the front stage if keeping the factory fronts.

So for $300 for the boston pro component 6.5 rears , apx. $200 for a cecent 4 channel amp and $150 for after market front 5 1/4's $650 total , you can have a decent aftermaket stereo upgrade and still keep the factory head unit for a factory look.

If you have any interest in the speakers shoot me an e-mail.
Old 03-23-2003, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the answers - not ready to buy anything just yet, but thanks again!
Old 03-23-2003, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Non-Bose Stereo Upgrade Questions (already read all archives)

1 Imo.....no
2. yes
3. yes thats what I did to keep the stock look
sounds great.
4.no
5 I ended up spending more than $500 so I would no know. but i'm sure a sub and an amp would sound ok with the stock speakers.
Old 03-23-2003, 05:02 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Some answers...

First, you need to work on your searching skills...one search many not turn up all of your answers, and it may take 5 or more increasingly refined searches to find the answer to one question. The answers you seek are out there, and have been covered many times.

Okay, here goes...
<b>1) Are the stock speakers worth keeping? </b>
Not really, but under a budget, some of them will have to stay. The first speakers to be replaced (if the budget allows) are the front "woofer" and tweeter. Replace them with a matched set of components. You should be able to fit 95% of 5.25" drivers in the front door (stock is 4", and I would not recommend replacing it with another 4" driver, as a 4" can't reproduce mid-bass at all).

<b>2) Will simply getting a new head unit make the system better at all? </b>
Not by much, with the rest of the stock sound system in place. On your budget, I would not start here.

<b>3) Could I simply add an amp to the current head unit and buy new speakers? </b>
Absolutely. The factory head unit has pin outs for a line level signal (so you can feed an amp). The pin outs need to be converted to an RCA type cable. You can either cut an RCA cable, and fashion your own pin outs, or buy a Blaupunkt adaptor (search audio forum) to handle this. This is the best approach to upgrading your audio system, however you'll need to be careful with the budget, and there are some considerations about future upgrades that you'll want to consider.

<b>4) Will a new head unit mess up any wiring like the keyless entry? </b>
Assuming you didn't use a butcher knife, and hack apart the factory wiring, no, you shouldn't experience any other issues.

<b>5) Has anyone done a nice upgrade for about $500? </b>
Within $500, I would recommend spending about $250 on front component speakers, and $250 on good two channel amp (Alpine, PPI, JL Audio). Those are some names I like, but they may not make anything within your budget. Do some homework.

Here's the future consideration that I alluded to. After installing front components, *my* next upgrade consideration is a 10" sub. The stock rear speakers should be turned WAY down and used as rear fill. That's my personal preference. Some people like upgrading the rear speakers and hearing sound from back there. You can put 6.5" speakers back there (I believe), so you'll get some bass if you do that, just not as tight or deep as a sub. Whichever path you choose, you'll need an amplifier. Since you're out shopping for amplifiers now, it would be wise to buy an amp capable of driving 4 channels, or an amp capable of having channels 3-4 bridged to feed a sub. That will cost more money though. Expect to spend $400+ for a quality amp that can do this. If you eventually choose one of these upgrade alternatives, the total cost of your system, without installation costs, will run about $1000. So you have something to think about now....

Have Fun!
Old 03-23-2003, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Re: Head unit ground

I have a 98 A4 non-Bose and last summer I upgraded the stereo and retained the stock head unit and front speakers. I added two amps to power sub woofers and new rear deck speakers. One issue I had with tapping the head unit's line outputs at the rear speaker location (splicing in RCA cables) was noise from insufficient ground. If you get an RCA jack converter there is usually an extra ground. If you splice like I did and get noise, I was able to cure it by running a short ground lead from the head unit's metal frame to the line out ground leads close to where they exit the head unit. No problems since. I agree with the other posts that a budget system should start with better speakers...I chose the rears due to ease of replacement and more mid-bass from a 6.5" woofer. I feel this has a bit more impact than replacing the fronts.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:26 AM

I have a 2000 1.8T and the system was not very good. However, I spent $1800, not $500. I repleced the head unit with an Alpine, all speakers replaced w/ MB Quarts, got a 10" JL 10W0 subwoofer, and 2 Alpine amps. Because the Audis use a rather lage, 1 piece stereo, normal aftermarket head units will not fi because they are DIN sized. Therefore, wherever u get the head unit installled, they will need to fabricate a face plate for around it, which should make the $500 budget even harder.<ul><li><a href="http://www.danpollock.com/mysystem.htm">Here are some pics</a></li></ul>
Old 03-23-2003, 01:48 PM

Fitted Alpine Ai Net head unit from new (unit does fit into the DIN socket, but you will need blanking plates to cover the overlaps from the stock head unit. Added Rockford fosgate amp under rear deck with Caliber speakers (5 inch) which fit into after market adapters which slot into the square holes in the rear shelf. Also then got the active crossovers for the speakers plus an MP3 compatable 6 cd changer (Alpine). Sound is good!, cost about £450 in total ($650?)

Cheers