A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Non-Chip, performance upgrades, need more hp...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-1999, 06:27 AM
RDI

Default Non-Chip, performance upgrades, need more hp...

Ok I have decided to get a 1.8TQM, but it needs more horse power, I read the chip post on how they are bad and am not reluctant to get one... What other upgrades are there that will give the 1.8T more horsepower/torque.....
Thanks
Old 11-01-1999, 06:52 AM
Rodney

Default What chip post are you talking about? (more)

There is little or nothing that can be done to improve engine performance without chipping. Filter and exhaust are standard steps. BUT a cone filter isn't an option without doing a cold air bath because it's so close to the turbo (read very hot air), and benefits from panel filters (like K&N) are minimal and suspect. As for the exhaust, it can actually hurt low end acceleration because it reduces backpressure. Also, the chip controls the engine management and the stock one is tuned for the characteristics of the stock system, hence changes to intake and exhaust also warrant appropriate adjustments to the chip. This is why I would steer clear of anyone offering upgraded exhausts without an accompanying modification to the chip's programming. More aggressive changes like cams and other internal engine changes are expensive, require a lot more work, and still should involve adjustments to the chip's programming for the above reasons. Probably the only way to gain power without messing with engine management would be to lighten rotational weight. A lightened flywheel (I think APR offers one) would be one option, as would be going with lighter wheels ($$$$$).

What were your specific concerns regarding the chip?

Regards,
Rodney

'99 A4 1.8tqms
Old 11-01-1999, 07:39 AM
jim in wnys

Default In the land of the blind, a one eyed man is king..

A guy from Race Tech is negative in his comments on chips, even to the 1.8T motor, suggesting that figures and claims are exxagerated. There are far too many satisfied - make that enthusiastically thrilled - chipped 1.8T customers out there to drag down my opinion on chipping this motor.<ul><li><a href="http://www.vwvortexforums.com/vwbb/Forum1/HTML/003045.html">VWVortex thread on chipping.</a></li></ul>
Old 11-01-1999, 09:34 AM
ErikR

Default VW Vortex thread, the misinformed obfuscating the ignorant...

The Racewear thread was unbelievable. Some gomer generalizing about chipping IMHO. Sure, run 87 octane in a chipped car is ASKING for trouble. Nobody will disagree.

If you run the RIGHT octane in a chipped car you will have many, many miles of fun with negligable impact on wear. If you stoplight race, you will obviously get more wear and tear (but you would have virtually the same wear in an unchipped car).

The vast majority of A4 chips are very well made. And, yes even AUDI sells the upgrade. The changes in the tt225 were substantial and well advised. The changes in the 180tt were minor. The FACTUAL evidence is clear: No A4.org engine failures from chipping 03's and one suspected turbo problem (never substatiated). And, if there were problems we certainly would find them.
Old 11-01-1999, 09:58 AM
alan t.

What "minor" changes are you referring to in the 180 h.p. version? .
Old 11-01-1999, 10:08 AM
Zsolt

Flywheel lightened. This is all. Pure "soft" power.
Old 11-01-1999, 10:27 AM
Rodney

Default I had read the thread, he makes some good points

Like the fact that all mods require the adjustment of engine management, can't just slap cams, exhaust on and expect things to work optimally. His statements started off in reference to the VR6 engine (a normally aspirated engine) and his comments about the lack of potential from chiptuning a NA engine are quite valid. He doesn't seem as familiar with the 1.8T engine, but one of the points he makes is that tuners who take the one chip fits all approach are not going the best route. His statement that additional output will reduce engine life is accurate as well. This is a fact. What is in question is how much it will reduce engine life, and from what (if it reduces engine life by 100,000 miles that sounds like a lot, UNLESS that is from 1,000,000 miles, both numbers are extreme, but they make the point). Like you, I am comfortable with the reliability issue based both on the numerous folks here with many chipped miles on their cars, and the 180hp 1.8TS and Quattro GmbH cars Audi sells in Europe (to say nothing of the size of the European tuning industry).

Regards,
Rodney

'99 A4 1.8tqms
Old 11-01-1999, 07:09 PM
RDI

Default Im concerned that the chip would ruin the engine....

Thats my main concern, if there was some moderatly safe way to go about doing this I would be all for it but I haven seen anything like that yet... maybe you know of something...
Thanks
RDI