A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Not all Audi drivers are created equal (rant)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2001, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Not all Audi drivers are created equal (rant)

I was sitting at an intersection today, just running some typical errands. The traffic light had just turned green. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a car coming from the right.
Something told me that he was not going to stop for the red light. Mind you, the light was green for me for a solid 1-2 seconds by that point.
This guy wasn't speeding, or rushing to beat the yellow light. And he certainly had enough time to stop before the intersection. The light was DEFINITELY red for him, and green for me.
But I waited. I could hear my mother's advice from when I was first learning to drive, "don't ever trust the other driver, even if you have the right of way."
So glad I waited -- because this guy did not even make an attempt to slow down, let alone stop.

If I had taken off when the light turned green, this guy would have T-boned me in the passenger's side.

I was in such a state of shock (partially because this guy blatantly ran a red light, and partially because I was amazed that my assumption was 100% correct) that I did not even beep my horn at him.

What made this situation even worse is that the offending car was another Audi -- either an 80 or 90 sedan -- my favorite Audi until the A4 came along.

Just a note to everybody out there -- drive carefully. And do not ever trust the other driver. Do not assume that they will do what is right, or yield the right of way when they are supposed to.

I went home and I kissed my mother for the advice she gave me years ago. And actually she told me these things when I was 14-16 years old, long before I started driving. She said, "I might as well tell you this now, because once you get older I know you won't listen."
I'm certainly glad she did!

Be safe,
Peter
Old 02-02-2001, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You could've been killed...

...and worst of all...2 wrecked Audis!
Old 02-02-2001, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I got the same advice. I should use it more often
Old 02-02-2001, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I know it... I said to my mother "Something you told me YEARS ago just saved my life."

And I do hope that you were being facetious about two wrecked Audis being the "worst" part of that scenario.

-- Peter

PS On a different note, what the hell is with people driving around without tires?! TWICE in two days, I saw cars driving on the road with a tire that is completely flat. In fact yesterday, I saw a guy on the HIGHWAY driving 55mph, keeping up with traffic, with nothing more than his RIM. There was no rubber left to speak of on that wheel! Don't these people hear the noise?!

This really makes me look forward to my 4 hour drive tomorrow.
Old 02-02-2001, 09:00 PM
Elder Member

Default I had an F*%# cop on a flat donut up front on his Lumina weaving through traffic, raining.

last week. I don't care how good of a driver he thinks he is. If he has no traction up front it's the other guy that's gonna pay for his stupidity. If I took his plate down and actually called it in I wish it would actually mean something. I think cops are the worst offenders. My $.02
Old 02-02-2001, 09:01 PM

Default Re: I know it... I said to my mother "Something you told me YEARS ago just saved my life."

Don't worry, I was. My mom took a hit like that at in intersection (her fault). Pulled out in front of traffic moving at 45mph. She got t-boned by an unlicensed driver in a prelude. She was in a 540i and everybody walked away from it, unbelieveable!

Funny, I saw somebody 2 days ago just driving on a flat. Rolled down my window and told the couple in the other car. They acknowledged me and KEPT DRIVING!
Old 02-02-2001, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ugh...tell me about it...

I work down the road from a jail (great working conditions, btw) and come quittin' time, there is a flood of pissed-off, want-to-get-home guards with souped up cruisers.

Now, you think YOU'VE seen cops do bone headed things, wait until you see a couple of them actually RACE EACHOTHER at a stop light. yup. dumb.

Kinda cool though when you can pull up to another cop and rev your engine and he does the same back ;-)
Old 02-03-2001, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I always wait ~2 secs after light turns green, then look, then go. Red-light running common now.
Old 02-03-2001, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Same here. I learned that lesson when I got hit by someone running a red light.
Old 02-03-2001, 07:19 AM

Default same thing when pulling out when people have their blinkers on.

I always hear my moms voice "never trust some other guys blinker", and I never do. All of my friends just pull right out like it's no big deal, while I hang on for dear life.

Quick Reply: Not all Audi drivers are created equal (rant)