A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

note to derek79 (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 01:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default note to derek79 (LONG)

stop posting 30 threads all related to the same thing. its obvious you haven't done any research on HID headlights and are relying on audi members to explain something that is so basic. for your own information, i would pull up google, and search for high intensity discharge headlights, which is why they are called HID.

you will find lots of information about them and how they work. then you will understand the bulb temperatures, the reasons you need ballasts, etc...

then you should come to audiworld and say, "what do you guys prefer as good brands?" or something along those lines.

ill start by helping you with some audi related HID stuff...

one, HID only comes in a few bulb types. DS2 will be what you will be using. if you dont have HID headlight housings, you will need an adapter to make the bulbs fit into the halogen(yellow incadescent bulbs) housings.
two, HID headlights are not like regular bulbs. in an HID bulb, the gas burns, not a filiment, similar to neon lighting. you need an ignitor, and a ballast(voltage transformer) for each headlight. the headlights run on higher voltage than 12v, but lower wattage. they also have their own harness since they require different power levels.

the temperature ratings on bulbs are in degrees, kelvin. 4100-4300 is white light, same as the sun. anything less than that will appear yellow, and the higher you go, the more blue then purple you get. so 5600k will appear slightly purplish.
8000k will be dark purple. the higher you go, the less light output there is on the road. its better to get close to white light.

ecodes, the headlights you keep searching for, there are a few kinds. you cant just swap any audi headlight into an audi. first, they have to be made for the a4. then they have to be made for the b5 chassis car(1996-2001). you can either buy one piece or two piece, as you said earlier, two piece are "gay." i happen to like my 2 piece, but only because i didnt feel like modifying the fender. if you get one piece, and your car is <1998.5, then you will have to trim the fenders to make the one piece fit.

that information should at least be somethign for you to start on. but try and make your questions more worthwhile and better worded, that is if you want better answers........

just my opinions....
Old 07-23-2004, 02:04 AM

Default Re: note to derek79 (LONG)

thx alot man seriously you have a vast intellegence and i was just researching but its almost like i dont even know where to begin and these boards are intimidating because there are so many experts and i am nothing of the sort. so thank you for responding to my posts i will try and be more accurate and do some work for myself. i mean maybe if i asked somone a question they would awnser it but chances are if they are awnsering a question like mine then they are prolly not even accuarate.

i will try and do my best. i was looking at the hid kits and such. i kind of knew about the output and stuff and such but i am just so clueless and impatient even more so now than ever because i messed up my front headlight so i am going to be replacing it. and that cant wait long so while i am at that i am just looking at hid and xenon kits.

i dunno if you ever took at the link i just put up to the bmw hid kit. but you are correct i dont know anything and i rly do want those pretty bad but then again i dont know what i would need to go with it. like ballast and hosuing or even what that is. or if my stock headlights would acompany them
Old 07-23-2004, 02:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default stock headlights will work for HID

but not for that ebay link you posted with the bmw parts. that was actually a projector too, and unless you want to take apart your headlight and swap projectors, thats not for you...

in the audiworld classifieds section, there is a set of RS6 HID headlights. those WILL fit into your factory headlights. they should come with the adapter i spoke of earlier too.

when you buy something like those... the bulb fits where your current bulb goes, which is why you have the adapter. you hook the ignitors to the bulbs, and the ballasts to the ignitors. then provide some power to the ballasts, may be a direct line to the battery. they aren't that hard to install, and as long as you have something like audiworld to ask for help when needed, you should be fine.

if you buy new headlight housings, and you prefer to get HID headlight housings, you wont need any adapters to make the bulbs fit.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:19 AM

Default ok thx alot

yeh there are also these audi ones and i think i should get them they dont include the hosuing but i dunno what that is or if i already have it or need it

and this auction ends soon im wondering if i should buy or wait whether its a good deal or not<ul><li><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;rd=1&amp;item=791208735 1">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;rd=1&amp;item=791208735 1</a</li></ul>
Old 07-23-2004, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that is close

the housing is the actual headlight, the clear plastic and glass thing that sits in your car. it holds the bulbs.

that thing on ebay is everything you need for HID, but that comes with auto leveling motors too.

the kit in the audiworld classifieds is pretty good, and it's everything you need to add HID to your already existing headlight housings.

you can put HID in your current headlights until you buy ecodes, its not a problem