A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

OEM wheel lock NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2000, 01:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM wheel lock NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!!!

My A4 has the factory (OEM) POS AUDI wheel lock on all four corners. This morning when I tried to take one of the wheels off, I STRIPPED the wheel lock lug!!!!! The special key for the wheel lock itself is ok, but the lug has been damaged/stripped. So, I cannot loosen it anymore!! I have a flat tire; that's why I want to have the tire fixed or patched. But now, I can't take the wheel off because of the stripped wheel lock lug.

Does Audi have a special tool to remove a damaged/stripped wheel lock? Does anybody have any solution to or any similar experience with my problem? Please(10x) let me know, because I don't know what to do anymore. In the end, will I end up having to destroy the wheel just to take the stripped wheel lock out? If that's the case, I'll be going NUTS!!

Many thanks is advance.

Eric
STRESSED and DEPRESSED
Old 07-29-2000, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Don't lose your key ... Audi won't replace 'em!!!

Sorry about your wheel lock problem, but I'm sure some mechanic has a tool that can remove them.

I have a different wheel lock problem. I lost one of my OEM wheel lock keys, so I took the other key to my dealer to get another key as a spare. After spending 20 minutes on the phone with the guys in the Parts Department, who couldn't find out how to order a new key, I decided to visit the dealer on my lunch break.

Well, that was a waste of time. I spoke to five or six people in the Service and Parts Departments, and nobody knew how to order a replacement key. Even though my key has a serial (parts?) number stamped on it, they couldn't find the keys in their computer database.

Finally, they told me I would have to buy four new wheel locks and use the keys that came with the new set. Pretty stupid solution, eh?

StevenN '96 2.8 qm
Old 07-29-2000, 04:52 PM

Default Don't worry; it can be removed. I bought a used car and the

key to remove the locks was missing and they wanted to change the tires. Even the tire store had no trouble getting them off. I don't know how they did it but it wasn't a big problem.
Old 07-29-2000, 06:38 PM

Replace them w/ McGard locks. They're far superior and you can order spare keys any time.
Old 07-29-2000, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default This is gonna sound bad but to take them off...

Get an "IMPACT" (usually black rather than the chrome) socket that is a little smaller than the diameter of the lock lug. Get a hammer and beat the impact socket onto the lock lug and use an air wrench to remove it. Works every time but you will never be able to use the lock lug again.
Old 07-29-2000, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default That doesn't sound right...

When I had my tie-rods replaced recently, I forgot to give the key to the technician.

He had no trouble removing the wheels. Apparently he has a "master key" because he didn't even bother to ask me for the key.
Looking at the lug bolts and the key, it doesn't even look like it is "coded" like McGard locks.
It looks they would all be the same pattern, and any replacement key would work.

I still like muppco's solution. McGard locks are better. They look nicer too. I'll probably replace my OEM with McGards pretty soon.

-- Peter
Old 07-30-2000, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default To DIY, you need a grinder and an impact wrench. Do what Scott D. said , but don't just bang on the

imact wrench socket. Grind or file down the sides of the locking lug as closely as you can to fit the Hex pattern. You want very little if any play here. Then use a breaker bar or impact wrench. Good Luck.