A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Ohmage of Factory speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-1999, 12:17 AM
Carlos Ramirez

Default Ohmage of Factory speakers?

Hi All
I am conteplating switching out the Delta stereo
with a Kenwood Exelon CD Head unit and adding a
CD-Changer later. How ever I am concerned that by changing the head unit I will also have to replace all the speakers. Does anyone know if I can keep the factory speakers if I replace the headunit can I still use the factory speakers?
Old 11-29-1999, 03:53 AM
Shaun

Default You can do this, however...

I switched my Delta head unit with an Alpine CD3-7887 (40w X 4 chl) and have found that the stock speakers really can't handle the increase in power. My speakers start to clip and cut out at relatively low volumes which I find very annoying. I'm currently in the process of replacing the stock speakers with higher quality after markets (not sure which ones yet). Good luck,

Shaun
'98 2.8QMS
Old 11-29-1999, 04:22 AM
Foo

This is only an issue if you have the Bose system
Old 11-29-1999, 05:12 AM
Carlos Ramirez

Default Re: You can do this, however...

Hi.
What Car Kit did you use? Did you have to modify the factory wiring and one think I haven't really found was a antenna how is your reception?
How does it look in there you don't happen to have a pic?
Old 11-29-1999, 05:40 AM
Shaun

Default Here's what I've learned (long)...

Carlos,

I had the head unit profesisonally installed with a custom mounting brace. It was expensive, but worth it. The space surrounding the new unit was filled with black plexiglass, mounted flush to the wood panel, then the unit was set within that frame. I'm not too sure about the wiring (I'm not much of an audiophile), but I know that it was not necessary to rewire the speakers. Sorry, but I don't have any pics available.

As far as replacing the stock speakers, they are also difficult to replace. Audi uses unique mounts and screw patterns on their speakers, so after market components also require custom mounting. I do know that MB Quart offers mounting brackets ($20-$25) that will allow their speakers to fit the stock locations with relative ease. Again, an expensive endeavor.

Another option I was presented with is to keep the stock speakers, but add an amp with crossovers and a sub in the trunk. This will reduce the low frequency load on the smaller speakers and utilize the sub to fill in the bass. Again, an expensive proposition. Good luck,

Shaun
Old 11-29-1999, 07:02 AM
Foo

Default Speaker brackets

Any decent shop can make 1/8 or 1/4 inch rings to act as speaker mounts for any brand of speaker. MB Quarts are no better/worse than a hand made ring from a router table. I made mine for my last car. Cost a hell of a lot less than 20 bucks.
Just my 2 cents.

Darren

`00 A4 week 49
`91 Integra IASCA competitor (Now veiwable in Jan 2000 Issue of Car Audio and Electronics)
Old 11-29-1999, 07:32 AM
Shaun

Default Re: Speaker brackets

I understand that's true, but the quotes I've received on custom brackets have been very high, mostly due to labor costs and time requirements.

I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer when it comes to the car, so it seems like an economical option. I've also heard that the MB Quart brackets can be used with other manufacturer's speakers.
Old 11-29-1999, 07:52 AM
stevebrown

Default MBQuarts will work with other brands, the issue becomes...

Mounting depth...My Eclipse Pointsource speakers were 2 1/3" deep & I had no problems using the MBQuart adapters.

Don't know how deep you can go tho'...

steve
Old 11-29-1999, 09:27 AM
Adrian

Default Re: Ohmage of Factory speakers?

I just installed an Excelon (kdcx-711) a few weeks ago. I'm very happy with the deck (the red matches the dash lights perfectly). The installer made a custom dash cut out to fill the factory hole. I still have the factory speakers, I added an amp (70 by 4) and a sub. the factory speakers work fine with the system I may upgrade later but as of now I don't see the need. Also, my reception isn't quite as good as with the factory deck.

good luck.
Old 12-02-1999, 05:31 PM
Graeme Turner

Default Where can I get the MB Quart mounts

I have tried MQ Quart direct in the US, Australia and Germany. Can anyone recommend somewhere where I can actually buy these ??