A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Oil burning after head gasket change

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a leak down test and there is no difference in results between cylinders. If head gasket or cylinder was damaged should leak down test reveal this?
I also talked to the mechanic who machined my cylinder head. He has a lot of experiences with head gasket change. He has seen this problem before on engines with a lot of kilometers but never found a resolution. One explanation is that oil control ring may be bad but this problem didn't come to the fore before gasket change...
Old 07-24-2013, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by randomx
I did a leak down test and there is no difference in results between cylinders. If head gasket or cylinder was damaged should leak down test reveal this?
I also talked to the mechanic who machined my cylinder head. He has a lot of experiences with head gasket change. He has seen this problem before on engines with a lot of kilometers but never found a resolution. One explanation is that oil control ring may be bad but this problem didn't come to the fore before gasket change...
Bad rings.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

whoever says valve seals or guides dont cause alot of oil consumption is completely wrong. engine vacuum will pull oil right down the valves and burn oil like crazy if the guides are worn or seals were not put in correctly.

Thing to remember, if you had the engine overheat badly, it can cause the rings to expand so much one can jam or break, so its possible you have bad oil control ring that is a result of the engine being overheated and the gasket being blown
Old 07-24-2013, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
whoever says valve seals or guides dont cause alot of oil consumption is completely wrong. engine vacuum will pull oil right down the valves and burn oil like crazy if the guides are worn or seals were not put in correctly.

Thing to remember, if you had the engine overheat badly, it can cause the rings to expand so much one can jam or break, so its possible you have bad oil control ring that is a result of the engine being overheated and the gasket being blown
I don't disagree on the valve seals but he had those replaced so they should be tight. I'm gonna stick with bad rings.