A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Oil Burning Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Burning Problem?

So for about the past two months now whenever i go on cruises with people and they drive behind me they always say that blue smoke is always coming out when i push the car and even sometimes see it at idle. I have a turbo back exhaust with no cat just to throw that in there. But today after driving it a little hard my oil light came on and it flashed for about ten seconds and went and stayed off. I have nooo idea why. oil and engine temp were normal at that time.I check my oil almost every other day and its NEVER gone down so where can it be burning oil? Is the turbo starting to go? If you know anything let me know thanks a lot. 99.5 1.8t fwd with about 96,000 miles
Old 05-07-2011, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A4FTW
So for about the past two months now whenever i go on cruises with people and they drive behind me they always say that blue smoke is always coming out when i push the car and even sometimes see it at idle. I have a turbo back exhaust with no cat just to throw that in there. But today after driving it a little hard my oil light came on and it flashed for about ten seconds and went and stayed off. I have nooo idea why. oil and engine temp were normal at that time.I check my oil almost every other day and its NEVER gone down so where can it be burning oil? Is the turbo starting to go? If you know anything let me know thanks a lot. 99.5 1.8t fwd with about 96,000 miles
No one?
Old 05-07-2011, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No one?
If it wasn't low on oil, check the sensor and replace if necessary.

Otherwise oil pump might need to be replaced, not unusual.

Drop the pan clean the strainer, install new pump.

Unless you have a catastrophic turbo failure and the seals blow, the oil pressure doesn't usually drop like that.

This place is dead on weekends.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
If it wasn't low on oil, check the sensor and replace if necessary.

Otherwise oil pump might need to be replaced, not unusual.

Drop the pan clean the strainer, install new pump.

Unless you have a catastrophic turbo failure and the seals blow, the oil pressure doesn't usually drop like that.

This place is dead on weekends.
Hmm, alright thanks. Yeah the light went on flashed and beeped for about 6 seconds and went completely off. Turbo was what i was thinking but there isn't any loss of power or anything that i can notice, besides a slight whine when i get on it. Unless thats normal and ive never noticed before?
Old 05-07-2011, 08:38 PM
x19
AudiWorld Member

Hi, greeting to all and I'm new at here because I had a problem to send my message to member when try to send through site. Sorry, but I am here.

On your problem is on turbo, exhaust side of turbo shaft seal burned or bearing failure course of lack of lubrication or debris (dirty oil) in oil. If spark plugs didn't show any sign of oil burning and cylinder leakage test passed. More, your engine compression is Ok and cylinder leakage test was within to 20%. All engines (gas and diesel=internal combustion chamber engine) are producing the microscopic metal shaving that we call the "DEBRIS" into oil. Engine needs clean oil all the time and this debris is enemy for ENGINE as we know that since car was born. Any way good luck to you.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

It doesn't take much oil burning to make smoke. I'd keep monitoring the levels. And are you doing this correctly (i.e. letting the oil drain out of the head before taking a reading)?
Old 05-18-2011, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, i check the oil level every two days or so when its hot and cold and it reads the same. I honestly think its the turbo on its way out but i don't know for sure
Old 05-20-2011, 06:22 AM
x19
AudiWorld Member

If you are still curious about this, you removed hose on turbo to air cooler or just loose hose clamp on inlet side of AIR cooler and see inside of hose. Usually, You will see the oil is coming out of it. So just keep the OIL level. If TURBO is loosing OIL, your turbo will need to use oil cleaning device or (and) you have to plan for next project. x19
Old 05-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be the turbo or the valve seals.

Usually that oil light comes on when the ecu senses a drop in oil pressure. Could be because of a bad sending unit or low oil level. If your car is down a quart or so and you take a turn and the oil moves to one side away from the pick up it will kick the low oil pressure warning.

Jason
Old 05-20-2011, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jason@ECSTuning
Could be the turbo or the valve seals.

Usually that oil light comes on when the ecu senses a drop in oil pressure. Could be because of a bad sending unit or low oil level. If your car is down a quart or so and you take a turn and the oil moves to one side away from the pick up it will kick the low oil pressure warning.

Jason
Yeah, but the only problem is that the oil level has always stayed the same even when i first changed it a month ago. I checked the sensor and that seems to be working fine. It went on twice in the past three weeks but only has happened when the engine reaches the normal operating temp.

Quick Reply: Oil Burning Problem?