A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Ok...I checked the archives..didn't find what I needed....RE: Car Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-1999, 06:44 AM
Steve S.

Default Ok...I checked the archives..didn't find what I needed....RE: Car Insurance

I just got notification from "lovely" Farmers Insurance that my car insurance is cancelled as of 7/26/99 due to late payment of premiums (I do the monthly payment deal). As far as I know only ONE payment was late...can you believe it...I forgot to mail it...it was in my briefcase. Anyway, I am extremely pissed since I have been with them for over 15 years...have not had any accidents and only had about 3-4 moving violations that hit my record in that time. We have had two comprehensive claims in that 15 yr period as well (both where stereos were stolen). My question is....who is reasonable. I want to have different coverages on my cars...not 100/300...The Audi should have 100/300 but my 89 Bronco should have the minimal coverage...30/60? I tried Progressive and they are quoting $946/six months..which is about $250 more per six month period. <p>Any suggestions? I am really pissed about this...ARGH!!!!!<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 07-19-1999, 06:58 AM
Jon

Default Steve, you should speak to someone there....

That isn't right. I mean, even big bad GEICO (which I have) is a lot better about things like that. You should call. It is probably just an automatic letter that is generated.<p>Good luck<br>Jon<br>'96 A4qs
Old 07-19-1999, 06:59 AM
Mark P

Did you call your old ins. and inquire to the possibility of staying with them? i.e. argue, barter, negotiate, beg, plead, or merely re-explain your history
Old 07-19-1999, 06:59 AM
Greg W

Default Re: Ok...I checked the archives..didn't find what I needed....RE: Car Insurance

One thought:<p>When I was looking for insurance for my A4, I had a hard time because of my age (25 at the time), and because I had two speeding tickets on my records. You wouldn't have believed how outrageous some of the quotes I got from "discount" insurers like Geico were.<br>Anyway, I found this web page (no idea what the link is now), that advertised a service AAA has. You pay them something like 15-20 bucks, give them relevant info, and they mail you a list with a quote from the twenty cheapest insurers for your specific case. (that's approx. how it works. It's been over a year and a half ago now, so I may have some details wrong).<br>I got the list and called the top few insurers to get a feel for the specific coverage and service they were offering. The very cheapest ones I didn't go with-- didn't have a good experience on the phone. But, I ended up with Erie, which was about the third or fourth cheapest, and have a good relationship with my agent now. And, the price was almost half what the initial quotes I was getting were.<br>So, if you're just looking for new insurance, I found that to be a pretty simple way of getting a feel for what's available. It sure beat calling all the insurance companies myself.<p>Greg W<p>The usual disclaimers apply. I don't work for any insurer, or AAA.
Old 07-19-1999, 07:08 AM
JohnO

Default Farmers BAD. AAA GOOD. God has granted you an opportunity - take it.

nt<br>
Old 07-19-1999, 07:10 AM
Steve S.

Default I tried to contact them on Friday...and, of course...my agent is gone for the day

My agent is not available EVERY time I call. I have two cars rated with them...and homeowners insurance. They are inexpensive though.<p>I left her a message...I will wait to see what she says.<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 07-19-1999, 07:26 AM
Slim

Default Mercury...Good rates, good service...

...I have been insured by them for 3 years now. I pay around $740/year on my A4, and I have to have 250/500 because I lease my car. If you are interested, I can give you contact information for my broker. He is Mt. View.
Old 07-19-1999, 07:30 AM
Steve S.

I just emailed you...
Old 07-19-1999, 08:21 AM
christine s

Default Go with American Express Auto / AMEX Assurance- they auto debit your AMEX account each month, never late! (more)

They are the most reasonable rates for me -$60/month, but you know I'm in a totally different class than you- single, female, non-homeowner, etc etc. PLUS I have no NONE zERO moving violations on the record (not enough time in the saddle w/ the A4 I think).<br>ANYWAY their # is 800-535-2001 if you want a quote with them.<br>
Old 07-19-1999, 09:18 AM
Randy Welch

Default I second the motion.

Call your agent, and consider auto withdrawl. Avoids those nasty check writing/mailing items.<p>-randy<br>

Quick Reply: Ok...I checked the archives..didn't find what I needed....RE: Car Insurance