A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Ok, I could use some ADVICE/HELP .bOrger's. For all you anal guyz, plz read & comment

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-1999, 02:28 PM
ChrisW

Default Ok, I could use some ADVICE/HELP .bOrger's. For all you **** guyz, plz read & comment

I'll try to make this brief. As I mentioned in a previous post, I picked up the car this past Friday. Soon discovered there was scratches on the back glass from 12 to 6 oclock dead center, about 6" in width. Looks like someone used a rag/towel with abrasives on it. Also appeared on the Rt. rear window. It has been attempted to buff it out, but to no avail, some progress was made with Rt rear although you can still see it if you look. Dealership now intends to replace the back window. <br> 1) My concern lies with breaking the factory seal on the back glass, and how good a job can a local Co. do in replacing it? What would you do? <p>Secondly, when CST installed leather in the car, they scratched (about 1" in length) the Rt. front passenger door Alum. trim. As you know, it's part of the door so the whole door panel would need to be replaced. An aftermarket Co. tried to touch it up with grey paint, but you can still see it, not as visible before the paint, but you can see it if you look for it. <br>2) My concern here lies as the same with the window. I really don't like the thought of jacking with the door just for a 'small' scratch. On the other hand, I'm one of those <br>'****' guyz when it comes to my car or bike...<p>I appreciate your comments<p>1.8tqms....
Old 05-20-1999, 02:40 PM
Tony

Default Re: Ok, I could use some ADVICE/HELP .bOrger's. For all you **** guyz, plz read & comment

Do you really have a choice? It's not like you can send the car back to the factory to have the rear glass replaced. Have it replaced and forget about it. During the course of your ownership of this car a lot worse things can and will happen. What will you do when you get the first door ding? send it back to the factory to have door replaced?
Old 05-20-1999, 02:57 PM
Klidge

Ok, so your car has some character. Tony's right, the car will not remain pristine. Worry about more important things. (Having said that, the dealer should be going out of his way to fix things for you.)
Old 05-20-1999, 03:05 PM
CW

Default I suppose I should've said, "Constructive" comments plz, save the cynicism...**** Car People Only! :) others will not understand, more

either you don't qualify as an '**** Car Person' or you just aren't tactful in your choice of words. -- "What will you do when you get the first door ding? send it back to the factory to have door replaced?" --<p>I'd say by reading your type written words, that pretty much could be described as being a smart ***. If that wasn't your intention, I apologize. AFAIK, an '****' person such as I count myself as such, will park their car as far as it takes in order to avoid door dings. <br>--"During the course of your ownership of this car a lot worse things can and will happen."--<br> This is helpful, although when I think back to my CL, GS-R, Altima SE...I think the worst thing that ever happened to any of these was a can of coke spilled on the floorboards! (no door dings, accidents, etc.)<br>
Old 05-20-1999, 03:43 PM
DaveL

Default Depends on your preference...

As a fellow **** car guy, it would bother me more to see two blemishes on my one week old car than it would to have major parts replaced by those responsible for the blemishes. I wouldn't worry about loosing the "factory seal". I say get both fixed.<p>DaveL<br>'97 1.8TQMS<br>with soon to be repainted front and rear bumpers to get rid of blemishes! Ugh!<br>
Old 05-20-1999, 03:52 PM
Rodney

Default Do the windows...and the trim

Get the windows replaced under warranty, once they're done, give them a week or so (beyond what the shop that does it recomends) and run it through a touchless carwash. Pull over and park it immediately and check for leaks. If there aren't any leaks from that high pressure that should give you confidence in the seals. If there are, make note where they are and get them fixed. It should be done right the first time, BUT it's always good to be sure.<p>As for the aluminum trim, you're talking about the strip in the door near the window right? If that's the case, you can get that replaced. I don't know how much it costs, but check with the dealer parts dept. The other option is just replace it all with aftermarket trim, LLTech sells some I think.<p>Regards,<br>Rodney<p>'99 A4 1.8tqms
Old 05-20-1999, 03:55 PM
ChrisW

That's exactly what I needed to hear, Tks Dave! Printing your post to show my fellow neighbor (97 328i) **** guy who jus said same thing you did