A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

OK, last time w/turbo debate...... If you had a choice of a K04 or a GT2X for similar $$ --->

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, last time w/turbo debate...... If you had a choice of a K04 or a GT2X for similar $$ --->

Both are brand new, never used and pretty close in price (good buy on the GT2X... much less $$ than a GTRS)

What would you do? They are both "mediocre" turbos really, but I would *think* --this is where i get in trouble-- that the GT2X is better, even though it has no water cooling.

Thanks so much all I am pulling the trigger on this TONIGHT!

K04, meh, but OK.

GT2X sort-a meh, can get a brand new one for cheap(er) from an individual and i have all the stuff to run it in hand. Stock clutch will hold unless i am an idiot with it.

GTRS = quite good, requires more parts I don't have yet and potential new clutch soon. I don't *really* want to go into 300 awhp range with this car anyway.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the one example of the GT2X i remember on here...

fvckspolded really quickly.
I know K04s dont last forever but seem to be more tried and true than the GT2X, and is water cooled, not that it matters much, the turbo im doing isnt, but it is nice.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, I recall that one for sure. --->

There are bad ones of anything in any batch..... seem to be a bunch of GT2X's overseas doing fine and dandy in Vag/Seat's etc.

I heard there was an issue with the 2X not having a restrictor on the oil line and it caused too much oil pressure/volume and blew the seals? I don't know.......... read it somewhere on whoretex or something.

It is ONLY tempting me as the price is very decent so it's almost like getting a K04 $$ wise.

I like the idea of a quick spooling turbo, and honestly don't *need* any more power than a K04 puts out, I just want the turbo to do it efficiently = something a K04 does not do @ PC-16 file levels. The nature of the tiny housing is just not set-up for that much power/flow.

Anyway, thanks for the input. keep it coming!
Old 03-22-2007, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've had the K04 for the past 3 or 4 years now, nothing negative to say about it...

I went from the regular program on an AEB to a J31 on an ATW. Big difference. I've been on the J31 for some time now and as a daily driver is has been a blast with all the down low torque.
Now, I have almost enough to get the hardware for a GTRS elim kit. I am on the fence. But in my mind I know I will always want more. Like I do now. But do I spend it or keep it for future maintenance. Or do I deal with it and save up for a full non-elim kit. Personally I rather wait and get what I trully want. Plus I want something that has a more reliable background. I don't need the down time. Gtx, I wouldn't even consider it. I rather just stick with my K04. Its cheaper to replace and this one went from one to my other car and is still kicking many, many miles later.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default well if you are installing the turbo yourself and the GT2X has warranty then might be worth a try...

If you are paying for installation then I'd be more concerned. Tough debate though, I was in similar spot a few months back, and then the entire decision was avoided by wrecking the car!
Old 03-22-2007, 12:45 PM

Default check out your post count.

Time for a celebration.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the input it's much appreciated! Hmmmmm, dammmm-it.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Installing myself for sure (I own a shop heh heh) but no, no warranty on the 2X.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The reliability on ATP's hybrids is meh. Get the K04 or a real GT.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I think it really comes down to software...

Quick Reply: OK, last time w/turbo debate...... If you had a choice of a K04 or a GT2X for similar $$ --->