A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

OK, my car has turned into a maintenance nightmare!!..I am buried under gobbs of repairs...(longish)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 11:58 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *ugh* dump the car now.

Some people may argue with this...but I think making payments on a used car that's in need of $$$ in repair money is like bailing water out of a sinking canoe with a tea cup. You're better off just paying a little more, but having an in warranty car. At least that way you KNOW what your monthly car expense is going to be.

I owned a used car way back when...my father gave it to me right out of college, for as long as I wanted it. It got to the point where I was spending $200/mo. fixing it. And everytime I had to get it fixed, I had to take time off from work, so I wasn't getting paid. It killed me. After that car, I've lived by one rule. Pay the car off before the warranty is up!
Old 07-06-2004, 12:15 PM
Elder Member

I agree with this
Old 07-06-2004, 12:19 PM

Default that is what i am thinking too, but i do enjoy the car when it runs right...

that is kinda why i posted this to begin with, not to bitch and moan about it, but instead to get advice and opinions about keeping or selling it. I bet if i combined my monethly payments with the average monthly(although i dont have repairs every month) repairs costs i am in a new or atleast warranteed car. The amount may even be more, yes the more i think about it what i pay now would be more than a new car, dependent on the down payment. Biggest problem i have besides the obvious is "is the car worth what i owe?" or maybe "can I get what i owe?"

Thanks a ton Raj, btw have you noticed how your outlook has changed since your first post, lol, welcome to my hell. Thanks again
Old 07-06-2004, 12:32 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default You didn't tell me you were sitting in a sinking ship.

If you owned the car outright, I would be inclined to deal with most of the issues. With exception to the AC, they aren't that serious. But making a several hundred dollar a month payment on top of fixing the car, and potential future repairs totally changes the equation. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes. I don't care how much fun it is to drive the car. If you're always worried about "how much next month" and "what's next", it takes all the joy out of it.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:46 PM

Default thats about it too, i dont worry alot but it is always in the back of my mind...

planning a trip to mrytle beach next month and i am wondering if i want to take it or not, although i will probably have to.

The 2 things that kill me the most are the engine itself is rock phucking solid and the other is the super low mileage for the year--63.5k on a 1996. I didnt foresee all these problems this early.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:44 PM

Default update: I was underneath the car for an hour and found a few things

first off i definetly have a bad sway bar link, that will be ordered asap. Also i found out that the huge thud in the rear is infact my exhaust coming up and smacking the heat shield. There is a dent where it is hitting and i am off to autozone now for some large radiator clamps to attach a short piece of angle to take up the space. While I was under there I also noticed that i only had 3 "quick screws holding my plastic belly protector on. I removed it hoping that it may be contributing to the front rattle. Does anybody run with the protector off, is it really that necessary to have?

I may have just won a battle, but the war still rages on!!
Old 07-06-2004, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The belly pan should actually be left in place

It's there for several reasons - none of which I can remember right now. If you need to leave it off temporarily for diagnosis, etc, just make sure it gets back on when you're finished.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:53 PM

Default well then i am gonna need a new one, both ends of it where it is supposed...

to attach the wheel well are broken off, they were like thatr when i bought the car. I can get the "quick" screws for it from ECS but any ideas where i can get the actual belly pan? Thanks
Old 07-06-2004, 04:59 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default improve airflow through engine compartment, aerodynamics,

sound deadening, keeping your engine bay clean. None of those functions are particularly critical...so replace it when you can, but don't lose sleep over it.