A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Ok. who here replaced front/rear speakers on concert?with what? did you notice a difference? Amp?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok. who here replaced front/rear speakers on concert?with what? did you notice a difference? Amp?

I am sure most of you probably did, but I want to get impressions because I am visting my installer to solve the distortion problem I am having. While I am at. and based on some notes by HDclown it I'm thinking of maybe changing speakers and adding an amp.
Old 05-19-2002, 06:42 PM
CMC
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have Infinity Kappa Components up front w/ Kappa Coaxials in the rear running on a 50 X 4 amp.

It sounds really nice along with my 12 inch sub.

At first, I used the Blaupunkt adapter to get RCA's from the back of the concert headunit. The sound improvement was huge, except you have to watch for ground loop noise, which often occurs because of the low voltage output of the concert headunit.
Old 05-19-2002, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What did you do to elimin ate noise? I added a new HU and my rear speakers have low level distortion
Old 05-19-2002, 06:53 PM
CMC
AudiWorld Super User

Default Do you have an aftermarket HU or the concert HU?

I used two Phoenix Gold Professional Line drivers that I put in the glove box to bump up the RCA voltages from the Blaupunkt adapters. Because of the higher voltage, I was able to turn the gains down on the amp, which got rid of most of the alternator whine.

Another possibility which one of my buddies here in St. Louis has tried that works is to mount the amp under the passenger seat. However, you need to use a very small amp that would fit in there. He's using a A/D/S 4 X 25 amp that fits (barely) under the passenger seat. The shorter the RCA's have to travel, the less noise they pick up. He runs the wires through the car down the center console/hand brake area and also the right kick panel area. It's a really clean install. He's running Infinity Reference Speakers up front and back, and it sounds really good. Doesn't have as much volume as mine does, but it sounds clean, and is a great "bang for the buck" upgrade in sound. He spent <$100 on the amp, and $220 for the two pairs of speakers. I personally think his system sounds better than the Bose. The bass isn't as boomy, but the sound is VERY clean.
Old 05-19-2002, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Aftermarket Alpine IVA-C800. (more)

The problem is that I had the deck done professionally so it would be done better. I am beginning to regret this now and wish I did it myself. I will find out tomorrow for sure what he did, but I have a large suspicion that he used the speaker level outs from the HU and connected to the line level input to the rear factory amp. If this is the case my options as I see them are:

1) Use a line level converter. This would allow the use of the existing setup and is a quick fix.

2) I can ask that new wiring be completed for the rear speakers and power then from the HU

3) I can use the RCA from the HU and give signal to an amp in the trunk that will power the rear speakers.

Since I may be shelling out some dough, I am considering getting a 4c amp and powering all speakers. While I'm at it, I could also change the speakers if I will see a difference in quality.
Old 05-19-2002, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default We've discussed this on the Audio forum...

try searching under my name.
Old 05-19-2002, 11:55 PM

Default yes- i have Nakamichi and Mcintosh combo - excellent without the amp, and better when i added the ..

mcintosh amp to run the mids.....