A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

From one battle to another.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-1999, 10:04 AM
Mike D.

Default From one battle to another.....

Being a former Mustang owner, I use to read all the flame wars between Ford's and Chevy's. I thought I was getting away from that non-sense when I bought my A4. Apparently I was wrong. It seems to be an Audi vs. BMW war, or Audi vs. Saab, and even 1.8T vs. 2.8! Personally, I don't see the reason why people have to put down other cars. I hear plenty of people saying BMW's are overpriced. Are they? They are well engineered cars and arguably make the best sports sedans for years. Maybe our Audi's are "underpriced" and we are just lucky. I mean, Audi has the ability to share quality parts from VW, I'm sure this helps from a price standpoint. Who can BMW share parts with the way Audi does with VW? As far as Saabs, I'm sure they are very good cars to from what I've read, and I would personally own one.

The thing though thats been bitting me the most is the recent 1.8T vs 2.8 thing. Some people seem to almost put down the 2.8... I believe Jeff J put it the best in his post from yesterday:

https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m/a4/203688.phtml

It seems that most people on this bored like to modify their cars. But there's a number of us who are content with the cars as is from the factory. Personally, I choose the 2.8 because I wanted more power and didn't want the possible problems associated with chipping. I like to "tinker" with stuff, but not with my expensive car! I'm on a tight budget, and should anything ever happen to the car and the dealer says it's the modifications and void the warranty, I'm screwed. Thanks, but I'll stick to modifying my computers, paintball guns, etc... things I can afford to break, but not my car!

Now maybe in 3 years when the warranty is up, and the car isn't worth as much I'll reconsider, but untill then, I'll enjoy my 190 naturally asspirated ponies.

Mike D.
99.5 2.8QMS
Old 12-29-1999, 10:33 AM
Greg Davis

Good post.
Old 12-29-1999, 11:41 AM
Elmo

Default There is a subset of German car owners ...

who really get off on totally tricking out their cars. I used to laugh at the AMG catalog where you can replace every single component in a Mercedes (tranny, diff, brakes, seats, engine, etc.) Why bother buying such a good car in the first place? Change the small stuff OK, otherwise just drive the damn car instead of sinking thousands more into it. Invest that money in something that will actually benefit your life (401k, mutual fund, term life, charity, etc.).
Old 12-29-1999, 12:38 PM
fRED

I agree. Could be it's more about their inadequacies than the cars. But I'm no shrink.
Old 12-29-1999, 12:41 PM
Goku

Term Life Insurance!? Why not a VUL?
Old 12-29-1999, 01:36 PM
Cat

Default A buyer's perspective

It has been helpful as a recent A4 buyer to read different opinions about the 1.8 and the 2.8 on the forum. After much debate, I chose a 2.8 because I'm not planning on chipping and I like leather seats. My decision was confirmed when I found the exact car I wanted with a 2.8 at a dealer nearby and bought for invoice because the car was already on the lot. As far as the Xenon/Halogen debate goes, I avoided Xenon mainly because I curse every car with Xenon lights that I see in my rear-view mirror. Whatever the results of visibility tests, I prefer to continue to damn those blasted Xenon headlights while driving with my halogens.

I've been pleased with the 2.8, though I'm sure I would have been happy with the 1.8, too. It might be a little overboard to get defensive about a choice of engine, but I think the information and debate is very helpful to new A4 buyers. After reading all the arguments for the 1.8, which mainly centered around the good performance with a chip, I decided that the 2.8 was worth the cost for me.
Old 12-29-1999, 04:55 PM
JC

Default ***** envy by insecure types is such an ugly thing. I enjoy my 2.8 & have no need to buy small...

and then overcompensate. The whole 1.8/2.8 Saab/Audi BMW/Audi thing is a waste of time IMO.
Old 12-29-1999, 06:08 PM
a4 in RI

Default A thought about BMW's

Don't get me wrong, I am in love with the A4. My friend on the other hand is not. He always asks me why I am so interested in a gussied up Passat. I think he makes a decent point. When you buy a BMW, you are buying a BMW. I know there are many, many differences between the Passat and the A4 so please, no flames. I belive an A4 will be in my price range in a year (after college graduation). But if I had the money I would be in 328 coupe in the blink of an eye.
I guess beaty is in the eye of the beholder. I drive a Mazda MX-6 now, which most of you probably think is just another Japanese beater but I am in love with it. It is the best car I have ever owned and it's turbo keeps me very happy. I know all of you A4 owners are very proud of your purchases and it should be that way. I'm sure I will be too, when I get mine.
In conclusion, I think the BMW 3-series is superior but comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges. It takes different strokes to make the world go round.
HAPPY NEW YEAR. -Bill
Old 12-30-1999, 04:15 AM
ALD

Default Good Point, plus a car is a car is a car...

It seems like I have also seen people here over the past couple of months saying their car is better then that or this. Well I am going to say this, my 1.8T is better then any car out there, but for me. Not for someone else. Example given, one of my parents drives an ES300, yes, a Lexus ES300. I can here all the people going she should get the A4, not the ES300. The thing is she likes the ES300, and while she likes the looks of the A4, she does not like the handeling.
People who come on and say talk me out of getting an Acura 2.3TL and into an A4 2.8 are completely nuts. My advice is go drive both back to back and make a choice. People are going to get the cars that they want to drive, not what everyone else wants to drive. If a person wants a Lexus, they should buy what they want. If they want an Infiniti, then get one.
Not everyone likes the A4 or Audi for that mater.
As for chipping, I have a stock 1.8T, I have talked myself out of chipping or going to Xenons or anything else because the car is fine the way it is. So I can't do zero to 60 in 1.1 seconds. 8.1 is fine with me.
Old 12-30-1999, 09:35 PM
mywheels

Default or are you just speaking of a car as merely a transportation device?

I find that about 99 44/100% of people with your value systems about "cars" are driving automatics. I refuse to drive a slushbox, no matter how nice they have gotten. In any event, I always begin to tire of the "manumatics" and the car begins to feel like a rent-a-wreck to me. For this reason, I'd never even consider the ES300 or a 2.3TL, no stick - no sale. Both those cars are nice, probably the best damn rentals I've ever driv- er scratch that- commuted in.