A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

One piece headlights electrical gurus

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One piece headlights electrical gurus

i was wondering if anyone has installed the one piece headlights from ebay, i purchased a pair but the connectors for the corner lights are different, the connector on the car has three wires and the connector on the light has two wires so my question is, can i wire up the three wires to work with the two wire connector in order to have the running light as well as blinker? any help would be appreciated
Old 04-16-2009, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hello, Can you provide more details on the exact lights. I bought these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=, and it had an original connector. For the halo's and the angle eye strip, there are 2 little relay and they are programmed to be interchangeable, turn signal on, halos off, turn signal off, halo on and so forth. You can wire the positive to any one of the 2 positive wires on the turn signal and the negative to the negative. Let me know if you need more help and I can try to get a picture tonight of the way I wired it all.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:17 AM

hi thanks for replying, these are the lights that i purchased:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_3432wt_958

sorry for the long url, i understand what yore saying about hooking up the positive with positive and negative with negative but that leaves one wire unused because one positive wire keeps the bulb on when headlights are on, and the other wire is the blinker
Old 04-16-2009, 08:52 AM

here is a pic of the lights the black one on the left came with the headlight and the one on the right is from my car so you see, two wires vs. three wires
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2009, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah I see. Just a side note, I stopped buying from Canadian sellers because I couldn't get good customer suport. My lights take the original bulb and housing so it's not exactly the same. I'm not sure what you have to do in your case. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:53 PM

The original 3 wire consists of a ground and two positives (one for you corner lights that are illuminated when the lights are switched on and one for the illumination when signaling to turn.) From the looks of your lights I cant imagine that the corners lights are used because it would fill the entire housing and look odd. So essentially you want to figure out which of the original wire is the ground and the positive for the turn signal and use those going to the new lights. There is no way to wire up your running lights unless there is an extra terminal on the new connector.