A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

opinions on "we dont allow haggling" by dealer

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2000, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions on "we dont allow haggling" by dealer

a friend of mine went to a dealer here in beaverton, oregon. the dealer said that the price on the window is the final price, "we do not haggle here"... is this normal?

i didnt think it was, but this is the only audi dealer within 150 miles, so maybe the demand is really that great?!
Old 10-04-2000, 12:36 PM

Default "We don't haggle".... simple just have him say "I don't buy"

They must KNOW they are the only dealer within 150 miles and they're using that fact to stick it to their customers.
Old 10-04-2000, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

One simple response..."Do you allow me to WALK OUT THE DOOR!"? That's baloney.
Old 10-04-2000, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you're talking about Sunset, then they just lost my upcoming business...

There's another Audi dealer in Bend (Carrera) and countless others up in Seattle. In their defense though, there are plenty of people in Portland willing to buy an Audi for the sticker price.
Old 10-04-2000, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default As Donald Trump says...

Everything is negotiable.

Some places will not haggle unless you show a serious commitment to buy.

For the sake of argument, if you went in and offered to buy a car off the lot for $100 less than the asking price, I guarantee you would get it. The question is how much they will haggle, even if it's only $100.

I suggest your friend find out exactly what car he wants and the invoice price on the vehicle and then he should go in and tell them exactly what he is willing to pay for the car. If they say no he should remind them that he is willing to buy the car on the spot and then if they still say no, he should thank them for his time and leave. Odds are someone will come out in to the parking lot with a counter offer which should be very close to their bottom line.
Old 10-04-2000, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You musta read that book about car buying...I forget whos' it was. But yea...

educate yourself, decide on the price you'll pay, lowball that by 3-4% and haggle, haggle, haggle! If you can't bring yourself to do that, they'll gladly take your thousands of dollars! Good luck!
'00 1.8TQMSX
Old 10-04-2000, 01:32 PM

was it the sticker???? if it was, just say buh-bye
Old 10-04-2000, 01:34 PM

if you know what you want,just call every dealer you're willing to travel to....
Old 10-04-2000, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Call them on the phone.......

Or even revisit them....tell them what you are interested in buying........and see what kind of price they quote you........if they say "sticker only," Then I'd say "well then, I'll give my sale to the other dealer x amount of miles away......they are willing to work with me and are going to discount the car x amount of $......and I'm giving you a fair chance as well is that all you can do for me.........this can be a real easy sale for you"

something in that line.....let then know, without saying it, that what they are doing--charging full price--is not going to work with you.

remember the POWER of the BUYER......not the power of the supplier.

I hope that this make a little sense to you.....
Old 10-04-2000, 01:58 PM
Elder Member

If it was the MSRP, I'd say "I'm sorry we can't do business, I am going to buy a car today. Goodbye"

Quick Reply: opinions on "we dont allow haggling" by dealer