A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Opinions desired...dissatisfaction with AoA (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-1999, 10:34 AM
bernie

Default Opinions desired...dissatisfaction with AoA (long)

I've about reached the end of my rope. I ordered a 99.5 1.8T Avant on 12/7/98. For the longest time, I thought it was to be built Prod wk 12. It came and went with no word. Mind you, I've been in regular touch with my salesman.<p>Since week 12 was in March, I waited until late April to start making waves. The dealer could not get any info about the delay, when my car would be built, or when I might get it. Remember I had already been waitingalmost 5 months and nobody knew when I might get my car.<p>I decided to call AoA on my own. On April 28, I called their "customer service" number, and spoke with a rep. She told me that they would look into the matter. She also put me on hold so she could call the sales manager at the dealer, who I knew had no further info. She told me they were opening a case on me and that they would get back to me.<p>I waited a week, and with no callback, called again. I got a nice lady who told me her name, and *gave* me a case number, since there was none on file. She, too, promised to call me back in the next few days. I told her that I had heard that before, and if I had not heard from her I would call her again a week hence.<p>A week went by (again), and I called back. I asked for, and got the same rep. She was apologetic, and told me that my case was being assigned a higher priority and sent to another department. They were supposed to get back to her, and when they did in a couple of days, she would call me.<p>In between, I had stayed in touch with the salesman. He had no word until the day before I was due to call AoA again. He then told me my car had been produced, but did not have a VIN yet.<p>The week anniversary came again, no word from AoA. I called again. My favorite rep was not in, but another rep looked into my case. Astonishinglyl, she told me that my car was in port in San Diego. I asked for the VIN number, and she told me that it was not available yet, but she would have my regular rep call back with it.<p>I called the salesman and told him that AoA thought my car was in San Diego. He was stunned as well, and promised to find out more.<p>The next day, he told me the car WAS in port, but in Houston. They had a partial VIN, and would get me the whole thing as soon as they could. He called me back the next day to give me the VIN.<p>I waited until *another* week went by weith no word from AoA, so called them again. My rep was not available, but the woman answering the phone looked up my info from my case number and was able to give me my VIN. She also told me that the car could take as much as 30 days to be delivered. I objected to that, since I think the car had already been in port for at least a week.<p>The phone call went downhill from there. I told her that their inability to determine when my car would be delivered, after 170 days was unbelievable. I asked what sort of compensation AoA was able to offer since I had waited so long. The woman got upset, and told me that there was nothing AoA would do, that the amount of time I had already waited was within the usual range. I countered that if they were to compete in this market segment they would have to do better than that. She was completely unapologetic and unsympathetic that I had waited so long for their car. She told me that there was no record of all those failed callbacks, implying that I was fabricating this whole thing. She also told me in no uncertain terms that there would be no further calls from them.<p>I am currently fuming. To be treated so shabbily by a company that is trying to sell in a crowded market segment, one that prides itself on customer service is inexcusable. I REALLY want the car, and there are no comparable models to what I want, so I think I will continue to wait (and wait, and wait...)for my car. <p>At this point, I have completely lost any respect for AOA. They seem grossly incompetent in both determining where their cars are, and how to treat their customers. I will buy the car, but certainly IN SPITE of AoA.<p>I have gotten the address of an upper manager at AoA, and will write a long, impassioned letter about this to him. Where can I send a copy to Germany, so they can see my frustration?<p>Also, if any of you has any constructive comments, I would enjoy them.<p>Thanks for letting me rant on.<p>>>>>>Bernie<br>172 days, no idea when this will be over...<p>
Old 05-28-1999, 10:55 AM
NT

Re: I hate to say this, but at this point I'd just buy a BMW and fax AoA a cancellation order w/ your Beemer invoice.
Old 05-28-1999, 11:01 AM
BDW

Default That's a disgusting story. Not very encouraging should I ever need AoA's help

<br>nt
Old 05-28-1999, 11:02 AM
Same Boat, No Avant

A Beemer *what*??? If you want a wagon, who knows when or if the E46 touring will come to US! 5-series touring >>$$$$
Old 05-28-1999, 11:18 AM
John Stahmann

Default My take on the whole thing...

How long did your dealer tell you to expect to wait between date of production to date of delivery? When I was selling cars at the local Audi dealership we told clients to expect 12-19 weeks between production and delivery, so according to that schedule, the car isn't even due here for 3 more weeks, or up to 2 months from now. Sounds to me like part of the problem was that nobody told you the car would take that much time to be delivered. Most of our cars were in by the 12 week point, but sometimes there are delays, and the car takes longer to get to you. <p>One possible reason for the delay is that the production cycles change. Audi doesn't produce Automatic and Manual transmission cars at the same time. They build Autos for a few weeks, and then switch and build all Manuals. <p>Sometimes cars sit at the port for extended periods of time. I know the first batch of 1.8T New Beetles was delayed at the port for almost a month while they worked out some problems with the turbos. I had a client's Passat held up at the port to install a window trim update - not because it was damaged, but because it was a better design. In that case I located the identical car in California and dealer traded the car in the port for the car on the lot, delivered the car, and had a happy client.<p>The old saying "Under Promise and Over Deliver." was reversed, so they "Over Promised and Under Delivered". That's suicide in the car business.<p>The salesperson should have never told you the car was at the port. There's a reason that salespeople are vague on where cars are, and it's for the client's own good - keeps them from getting upset when the car isn't there yet. <p>You have every right to be upset about the whole thing. You should have been told the truth all along. I know it's a frustrating process to go through, but the wait will be worth it when the car gets here. I know that a couple of dealerships here in Utah have 1.8T Avants sitting on the lot.<p>John<p>If you're really that upset, have them locate a car for you at another dealershp that can be delivered sooner.
Old 05-28-1999, 11:18 AM
Rick Pardo

Default Re: Opinions desired...dissatisfaction with AoA (long)

Bernie -<br>This behavior is absolutely unprofessionial and unreasonable. The question to ask is how any of the people you've spoken with would react if they were asked to wait 6 months for a product with little or no information. Companies spend millions <br>attempting to build a brand loyalty/identity with the buying public who spend their hard earned money after making a choice.<p>Demand answers, after consulting an attorney as to what your rights are in a failure to perform civil action - check your sales order for a tentative delivery date, and the back of your sales order for cancellation/voidable paragraphs relating to delivery. You have the patience of JOB
Old 05-28-1999, 11:34 AM
Brad Franklin

Default How' bout a 540i wagon? THAT would be nice... :)

(nt)
Old 05-28-1999, 11:42 AM
bernie

Default Re: My take on the whole thing...

I was told both by the dealer and Audi that it took 90-100 days from order to delivery, which would have put it around March-April. This also was inline with the week 12 production date I had received. <p>I know that there was a production problem rumored with Avant hatches, and that delayed and/or slowed production. However, this was learned here, not from either the dealer or AoA. To this date, AoA has never had any explanation as to why the car has taken so long. I do not fault Audi for having production problems, after all, I want my car to be right when I get it.<p>However, I continue to believe that it was inexcusable for them to keep me completely uninformed 5 months after I ordered the car. It is even more inexcusable to be so unsympathetic to my pleas for information. I could almost understand it if I had been nasty or rude on the phone with them. I made every effort to be patient and understanding. Yet they seem completely unrepentant to this point.<p>Were my requests for information unreasonable?? I don't think so, but I apparently do not understand the automotive retail arena as well as I thought.<p>As to getting another car, searches for cars have all gone unsuccessful. I'm not sure if my particular desires are that far out of the norm or their tracking system is uncapable of performing its intended function.<p>The car was to have arrived by my 40th birthday, but now is endangering our planned July 4th vacation, planned before the car was ordered. Is it unreasonable to expect a car ordered in December to be available for a vacation in July?<p>>>>>>Bernie<br>1999.5 A4 1.8T Avant QMS, sunroof, sportseats, trip, NO BOSE <br>Jaspis green with Opal interior.<p>172 days...
Old 05-28-1999, 11:56 AM
ALD

Default Sometimes it has to do with the approach of the buyee...

The best way to not get things done and to have things go wrong is to loose it completely. I do feel bad for you, but by getting angry and then taking it out on AoA, may have caused you more harm then help. As strange as that sounds it is true. I have always found it best when wanting to take care of something, to go in with a calm head and plenty of questions. By being angry at a situation, you just compound it to make it worse then it already is.<br>Yes, I know that you are disappointed that your car (or your beloved baby) is not on your driveway yet. And would like to have it ASAP. But remember, the factory is not in the United States, and has to be shipped here from Europe. Not an easy task. And sometimes a car maybe in a port for weeks on end before even being placed on a truck to the dealer. Remember, your car does have to clear customes when entering the U.S. My father had a simalar problem with Caddy, he was coming off of one lease and going onto another, Car came into Georgia at the beginning of June, and if everything had gone according to plan, it would have been in NJ by the Middle of the month and in his hands the last monday of the month. That did not happen. Customes held the car into July, but Caddy was able to find him another car exactly ordered. And not once did he loose his cool.<br>Next time you pick up that phone to AoA, take a deep breath first and count to 10, and then handle it in a calm maner, remember, the people of the other end are just like you and I, and I don't think you would like to be yelled at by them either.<br>
Old 05-28-1999, 12:00 PM
KHLI

That takes a lot of guts, god job NT.

Quick Reply: Opinions desired...dissatisfaction with AoA (long)