A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Ordered '00 2.8qm last week. Questions...(kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-1999, 12:37 PM
ahb a4

Default Ordered '00 2.8qm last week. Questions...(kinda long)

I've read posts about order status codes. Should my dealer always know the status of my car on any given day? Is it a big deal / bother for them to look it up? I expect it to take 3-4 months to get here. Is is possible for my dealer to find a similar one that is already in production that can be configured to my order? Does that still require a dealer trade? My dealer said he'd have to charge me approx $200 if he did a trade (to cover the cost of driver and flatbed). Is this typical/fair? He even mentioned a small charge for doing a 'locate'. Isn't this just a 10 minute search on a computer?? Basically, I want to know how to get my car as quickly as possible. Are there any 'tricks' that will help me?
Old 09-13-1999, 07:10 PM
MikeM

Default Some answers...

1. Your dealer should be able to get you a status on any given day by checking the computer.
2. Yes if the car is already allocated to that dealer they can change the order to a different configuration. (Pretty sure about this)
3. I was never charged for either a dealer trade & certainly not for a computer search.
4. No tricks if you order, just patience.

Mike
99.5 2.8 Avant qmss
Old 09-14-1999, 08:37 AM
leeep

Default A few more bits...

I have a '00 Avant 1.8T on order thru Rector. This is what I can vouch for from talking to the dealer and from other experiences:

a) Production month upon placement of the order based on what dealer has allocated (for me, Nov.)
b) Estimated delivery time (Dec. here)
c) An order tracking number should be available (I gotta get this)
d) Production week is not known for sure until ~1 month prior to production
e) A VIN definitely can be had once the car is "F" status (built and waiting at dock in Germany)
f) Shipping information is available right down to the boat number once you have the VIN. Arrival dates are still kinda hazy though it seems (depends on wind/waves? =)

Production days/weeks are not general information for US dealers, I was told. If you can find someone with access directly to the Audi inventory system, you might find out otherwise. I have read in a few places that $200 is pretty common to cover transport of a car on a flatbed. Locate/search should be free. Good luck!

-e
Jaspis/Opal Avant 1.8TQTipS SG/X on paper...<ul><li><a href="http://www.a4.org/faq/faqs/faq21.shtml">FAQ on Audi Orders here at A4.org</a></li></ul>