A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

OT Question for any Tag Heuer owners who've had batteries changed on Quartz models

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT Question for any Tag Heuer owners who've had batteries changed on Quartz models

I've had my Tag for quite a while...anyhow few weeks ago the second hand started to move in 4~5 second increments...sho nuff the battery was on its way out. According to the manual that's their low battery indicator scheme.

Anyhow so I need to get a new battery...so I called up Swiss Wave in LA, they repaired my rachet bezel once upon a time. So I asked how much to change the battery and I swear to god they couldn't give me a straight answer. They were all like, I gotta see the watch...we dunno how much other service it needs blah blah blah. They're like average is around $150 yikes. Ok I mean I know they're, "premium" watches...but there's no F'ing way getting a new battery should cost 1/5th what you paid for the damn thing. Has anyone here had the battery changed on their Tag...if so where and how much did you pay? I can understand $50 with new seals and such, but I don't think a totally sealed watch with a Quartz operation needs $150 worth of service to have the battery changes, seals replaced...and maybe a touch of watch oil here or there.

Thanks,
Old 05-14-2002, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

send it to me and I'll take care of it...no worries.
Old 05-14-2002, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Mind you battery change is done thru the back of the watch...no hammer and chisel needed ;-)
Old 05-15-2002, 03:22 AM
Elder Member

Sell it on ebay and get an automatic
Old 05-15-2002, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A couple of suggestions...

James,

$150 is ridiculous. Swisswave (9301 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 600, Beverly Hills, CA 90210) is the authorized service center for Tag Heuer on the West Coast. Since you are way out of warranty, there is little reason to take a quartz watch back to them for a battery change (automatic/mechanic watches are a different story). It is a lot like a car dealer in that they will charge a premium and always look to get you for some other charge. The advantage of a quartz watch is that it is virtually maintenance free with the exception of an occasional battery change. You do want to use a competent watch repair shop since you want the watch properly sealed to keep moisture out.

Some high end watch retailer will have good repair facilities. You can try Rich Companies (richcompany.com) 550 South Hill Street, LA. It shouldn't run you more than $20-25.

Or, take Liam's (and my) advice... selll it and get an auto/mechanical ;-)

...life is too short to drive a crappy car and wear a crappy watch.

Chris
Old 05-15-2002, 10:55 AM

Default Not a problem...

I was just gonna sell it pocket the cash. Come and get me fool!
Old 05-15-2002, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Damn you guys suck, I just bought a Tissot T-Touch

they're not officially for sale in the US but there's a company that imports this model to the US from Switzerland.

The watch has some really cool features. Compass, Baromter, Temp...you name it it does it. The window is Sapphire, but it's touch sensitve, and when you invoke he compass the hands swing away from reading the time and start to move like the needles of a compass indicating direction.

I'm pretty much a hound for cool tech and features, this watch IMHO still looks classy enough...but has a load of cool features. $595 including tax...

http://www.tissot.ch/cgi-bin/index.htm

and a write up at

http://www.ozdoba.net/swisswatch/ttouch.html
Old 05-15-2002, 02:21 PM

gay
Old 05-15-2002, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Honestly...fakov

you never have anything nice to say :-(

Rice wheel boy ;-)
Old 05-15-2002, 03:41 PM

Default LOL...

nice watch.

Quick Reply: OT Question for any Tag Heuer owners who've had batteries changed on Quartz models