A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

OT (X-poster from TT board): For those who leave their computers at home/work idling for a long..

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2001, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT (X-poster from TT board): For those who leave their computers at home/work idling for a long..

period of time.

Please consider signing up for United Devices. <A href="http://www.ud.com" target="_top">(www.ud.com)</a>

This is <b>NOT</b> some kind of spam.

So what is it? I'll make it short. It's basically a program which runs in the background of your computer, making calculations for a formula which has the <b>possibility</b> of finding a cure for cancer!

This is how it works.. click <A href="http://members.ud.com/membership/howitworks/" target="_top">here</a>

Just click <A href="http://members.ud.com/download/" target="_top">here</a> to download the small program.

I have started an "Audiworld Member team" - its just a 'team' we can setup and see how much we have contributed all together. There are prizes to be won, but thats just a bonus

Please feel free by joining the team by clicking right <A href="http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=22767A01-4C72-4949-B9AC-A1742EF3DD61" target="_top">here</a>

I have just discovered this program myself, I believe some of us should be interested in this as well. I personally know people with cancer, and know its a horrible disease. Does this calculation stuff actually work? I honestly don't know, but since I leave my computer idling most of the day, might as well contribute to this program.
Old 04-11-2001, 01:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hmm similar to http://setiathome.berkley.edu

Which is a distributed computing screen saver. Basically it's to aid in the search for ET as the computer time avail is not sufficient to perform the FFT's with small enough BIN sizes to allow them to catch some of the smaller Gaussian's that might show up when the BIN sizes are reduced (basically fewer Hz bandwidth pre discrete amplitude calculation allowing for finer resolution of frequency Vs amplitude) these Guassian amplitude patterns are what they're looking for. Basically the antenna sweeps out so many degrees per min / sec...if there were a constant carrier signal coming from a distant planet it would be highly directional...with a narrow antenna beamwidth as you approach on the signal on the right edge of the beam (swept left to right) the amplitude would increase peak...then fall off in the shape of the standard gaussian. For the most part terrestrial signals won't do this...they tend to maintain relatively constant amplitude as the crap is just bouncing all over the place and doesn't behave like a distant signal. Anhow...so the program downloads work units and then begins to process them...if any guassians are found that appear significant they're sent back to berkley for further analysis...the data originates from SETI in Arecibo (you've seen the radio observatory antenna before I'm sure...it's massive)...I've done something like 4000 computer hours so far...you will get some kind of credit if your computer processes the data that finds ET or something along those lines.

Of course this isnt' the cure for cancer...but who knows how legit that other company is. I'll have to look into it, I've lost some people to cancer before it's a terrible disease. Maybe you can run both tasks concurrently.

Regards,

James R.

2001 A4 1.8TQMSXP (Koni Coil-Overs, Neuspeed 19mm Rear Anti-Sway, StopTech A4 Brake System, SS Brake Lines, Oettinger Pedal Set + Dead, Oettinger RE's 17x8, Yoko AVS Sports 225/45/R17, European Xenon Housings, Bailey BPV & RS4 Grill)
Old 04-11-2001, 02:47 AM

Default Not a good idea...

Lets just say I work for a federal agency that deals with computer crime and that giving access to your computer is just asking for trouble. Most of these things are hoaxes and even if they aren't, do you trust them (whoever they are) enough to give them access to your personal information? No to mention that they could use your system to do bad things to others and then I (or I mean the FBI ) come breaking down your door with a search warrant. That's all I'll say on this issue. It's your choice...
Old 04-11-2001, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

lol
Old 04-11-2001, 04:40 AM

All your CPU's are belong to us...prepae for destruction...
Old 04-11-2001, 05:10 AM

SETI works GREAT for testing overclocked processors...=)
Old 04-11-2001, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

exactly, and since a packet takes hours, it's good to tes OC'ed CPU stability :}
Old 04-11-2001, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

we used to use the same thing with RS64 or whatever the distributed encyrption one was...
Old 04-11-2001, 05:56 AM

Default Not to mention ...

You're doing the work for a major drug company who isn't exactly going to give this away for free. Let them buy their own computers. If they want to make a TRUE humanitarian effort to cure cancer, and use MY computer to do so, then I'd better get the cure for free, if I need it. Yes? No. It's big business. Don't do it.
Old 04-11-2001, 07:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer Q3Demo running at max speed, since that also tests video & CPU

Quick Reply: OT (X-poster from TT board): For those who leave their computers at home/work idling for a long..