A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Overheating Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating Issue

Well looks like its time to open my wallet once again.
10/98 A4 1.8t AEB

The car has a Ko4, GIAC PC-16 SW, FMIC, SPAHL Electric Fan and lots of other overpriced non-sense.
Ever since I installed the FMIC I noticed the car runs hot 1 bar over the middle. This only happens when the car is running in stop go or when the engine is shut-off at temp and then restarted 5min later. It runs normal at speed and is fine with the AC running. I service this car regularly and make sure its in good shape.
Does anyone know if this is the Dual Stage Fan Switch not coming on?

Also does anyone know the part number for a cooler switch?

I replaced the CTS with the correct updated version (Black) and thought my mechanic replaced the fan switch but Im not sure.

I bought the OEM switch but want to confirm thats the problem.

Both the factory Fan & SPAHL fan come on when the AC is turned on.

I dont hear the After Run fan working when the car is turned off.

Please advise
Old 07-21-2006, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Have you replaced the thermostat?
Old 07-21-2006, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Have you replaced the thermostat?

it was replaced when the TBelt was done, why would that effect overheating when the car is turned off.
By the way is the Tstat easy to replace and where is it? Ive never bother to look for it.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well the car is going to get hot when its off because water isnt flowing...

it cools off after a while. What IC core do you have? I run a tiny bit hot sitting still with the AC on with the stock fans. Other then that i am fine.

Reply in subject line.

--dillon
Old 07-21-2006, 12:50 PM

Default Re: well the car is going to get hot when its off because water isnt flowing...

At one time I remember the fan would come on after the car was turned off (short period) just to do the After Cooling. Now I dont here the fan at all when the car is shut off.

The core is apprx 22x9x2.75 all alloy tubing.

The T-Stat would effect me when the car is running , but when the car is off the water pump isnt working so why would the tstat have any effect? I think its the Fan-Switch just wanted to see if anyone else has an absent fan when the car is running hot?
Old 07-21-2006, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Reply in the subject line!!!! I never hear my "after cooling" fan come on... my point was.

You car is going to be a little more hot when you turn it back on if its only been off for five minutes since the block hasnt been able air cool. Thats a normal sized core, so thats not the issue.

--dillon
Old 07-21-2006, 01:15 PM

Default Ok then why is the car running hot during stop go and run normal with the AC on?

Your help is appreciated, I was hoping this was a simple fan switch problem and its sounds like its more complicated
Old 07-21-2006, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Im not sure with the electric fan setup but the AC has a fan that comes on with it.

So that explains it running normal with the AC on. It may be the electric fan, im not really sure.

--dillon
Old 07-21-2006, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thats one of the weaknesses of the two electric fan setup.

An electric fan can free up some horsepower but the viscous clutch fan is variable speed and is better able to regulate temperature.

The electric fans are either on or off. If you buy a different switch if its set lower than the water/ coolant thermostat its gonna cycle on all the time.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I probably have the same cooling setup as you guys....

And neither one of my fans have ever stayed on after I have switched off the engine and I live in South Georgia.

Quick Reply: Overheating Issue