A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Pads? Or pads and rotors...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pads? Or pads and rotors...?

I have about 55K on my car. My dealer tells me that typically the rotors wear down with pad usage (duh) and that, according to them you should replace the rotors when you replace front pads. Rears he says you can run two sets of pads before needing new rotors.

I'm worried they're just trying to rip me off, so I called an independent mechanic around the corner that I trust, and asked him how much to change pads. He told me he wouldn't change pads only because specs are to change pads and rotors and he doesn't want to be liable for not following spec.

What's the real deal?
I'm not opposed to getting new rotors, but I don't want to if I don't need to. I want new pads, though. Less dust, less squeal, all that.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:46 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Measure them with a caliper to determine whether you need them.

Any other reason is bull**** (unless they're cracked or something)
Old 01-14-2004, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default sounds like BS to me [edit]...

I've never had my pads nor rotors replaced under warranty (within the first 50K miles), but IIRC, most people that did, the dealer only replaced the pads and kept the old rotors because:

(a) the rotors were still within spec, and
(b) dealer/AoA did not want to pay for replacing the rotors.

As a matter of fact, most dealers will refuse to replace any part that is still within spec, under warranty.

But now, once you're no longer covered, they'd like you to replace every stinkin' thing, wouldn't they? ;-)

EDIT: By the way, I'm not saying that you don't need new rotors. You may actually need them if yours are worn out or worn unevenly (warped).
Old 01-14-2004, 10:31 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Sounds like your dealer is being very honest...

They are relating their experiences with you...but generally speaking, pads and rotors should be swapped together (which is what your mechanic is telling you).

The only way to find out for sure is to measure the rotor thickness, and compare to min and max spec. If the existing rotor thickness is less than halfway between min and max spec, that means you will most likely wear out the rotors before you wear through the next set of pads...and you should replace the rotors now, and be done with it. If your existing rotors are more than halfway between min and max spec, you've been kind to your rotors, and they will most likely be fine for the life of another set of pads. You may need to bet them machined to smooth them out, which will remove some material, so take that into account when evaluating the thickness.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default you should get new pads then go get your rotors turned down. i wouldnt recomend putting pads without

turning down the rotors first for a flush fit.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:53 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

So, no need to measure the rotor thickness and compare to manufacturer specs?
Old 01-14-2004, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That makes sense - thank you!

And yes, by dealer does tend to be very honest. I have always felt like they told me things honestly, and they'd tell me to go elsewhere when their prices were bad, etc ...

Thanks for your opinion - knowledgeable as always!
Old 01-14-2004, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: sounds like BS to me [edit]...

Even if you don't replace the rotors, you need to put them on a lathe and true them up.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:38 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default One correction...

I don't know that the manual lists a "max spec"...or new spec (what I meant to say). They probably only list a min spec, so you'll have to do some leg work to find the thickness of the rotor when new, then do the math to make a judgement call.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default rotor thickness info (new and minimum)...

Front: new: 25mm, minimum: 23mm
Rear: new: 10mm, minimum: 8mm

This is for a quattro version A4 though. Not sure if the FWD had different size rotors or not.

Quick Reply: Pads? Or pads and rotors...?