A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Paging: "Used to be K04" owners that swapped in a bigger turbo & used K04 software--->

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paging: "Used to be K04" owners that swapped in a bigger turbo & used K04 software--->

I know there are a couple on the boards here... i forget the names and I am too much of a lazy m-f$*ker to search.

Besides, I am looking for recent thoughts on the subject.

What it comes down to is I don't really want to get too aggressive with the programing for now in order to save my almost new clutch etc. I am going to run GIAC PC-16 K04 software and related injectors etc. My thought is to run an Eliminator turbo, either a GT2X, or a GT28 ball bearing turbo. Seems for the extra $200 it's better to use the BB turbo, but I'll be using so little of it's potential... the GT2X would be a better match for the K04 SW.

The big question is this: Is it going to be a little more powerful, feel better, last longer to use one of these bigger turbos than a K04? I imagine they will run cooler and more efficiently at the K04 chipped levels. ~~ Overall potential aside... are the $5-700 more expensive turbos going to be worth it? I am talking real world power, lifespan and drive-ablity here, not cool factor, not potential power, not bragging rights, not turbo induced caulk swinging Intraweb d!ck or anything else.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

<tracks thread>
Old 03-19-2007, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey hey. I know you said you lub the K04.............

still feeling that way?

I wish I could take a ride in a K04'd car.

Would you say it's as big or bigger a difference then going from no chip to chipped? (200 or so HP) HP/TQ gains are similar so............
Old 03-19-2007, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I do like it, but also have thought of taking the same route you are thinking of...

I never drove my car unchipped. The turbo was toast when I got it & before the dealer even got it replaced I had a chip installed. So I went from chipped K03 to K04 (for a few weeks) to K04 PC-16. Someone else can probably give a better idea than me.

As for the upgrade, if I could find that the eliminator or something else was reliable with the PC-16 setup for a reasonable price I might upgrade. It would have to be a turbo with proven reliablity though. I don't want something I have to replace every few months.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmmm, I agree......

That is my problem with the GT2X oil only cooled thrust bearing turbo. Granted it wouldn't be working that hard, and there are plenty of oil only cooled turbo's out there.... hell my Cummins Diesel truck was pushing close to 50psi on an oil only thrust bearing turbo....

I don't know, I don't want to be the guinea pig.

The GT28 is a proven turbo in it's normal state. The Eliminator set-up just restricts the exhaust a little (looks that way anyway), but if the tuning was reasonable that shouldn't be an issue with too much heat etc.

*confusion*
Old 03-19-2007, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default skip on the GT2x. I think it's oil-only cooled...

heard bad stories about that. Ask Nunya, he had a GT2X without much success.

bitjockey ran his GTRS with PC16 software for a while... said it made good power but was pig-rich and he kept his boost limited.

still haven't put the software/injectors to use yet, eh?
Old 03-19-2007, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It is only oil cooled, skip definitely.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, but that guy (below) eats turbo's for lunch every day. ;-P

Thanks, I think I'll skip it.

As for running rich, it shouldn't if i was using the K04 injectors... maybe a little at lower RPMs as the K04 spools a little lower down in the rpm range. Am I missing something here?

And no.... I have not dammmit. But my K03 is *realllly* dying. Very very sluggish, screaming/grinding and no boost to speak off.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default heh, and get an upgraded oil feed line from Joe@Axismotorsport. Trust me on this one.

Dont believe ATP.

--dillon
Old 03-19-2007, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks! What are the injectors I have from the "normal" PC-16 deal?

They are red on top IIRC and I got them from "twentyvalve" here on AW.

Are the injectors/MAF something i could later.... or will it run like dawg cr@p that way?

What about a FPR? Any swap needed?

Lastly: Does it have a fair bit more "pep" than a K04 would for day to day spirited driving? - -- -- by by stock clutch...

Thanks man! I appreciate the help.... again.

Quick Reply: Paging: "Used to be K04" owners that swapped in a bigger turbo & used K04 software--->