A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Paint Quality

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2000, 04:39 PM
JRay21

Default Paint Quality

Does anyone here know if the paint process Audi uses is the same as on VW's? I know many Audi drivers/owners hate the comparisons between Audi and VW, but since they share so many parts I was just wondering if the paint process was the same also. Many VW owners complain their paint is too soft, but I rarely hear that from Audi owners so I am assuming there is a difference. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2000, 04:46 PM
StevenN

Default Re: Paint Quality

I have an Emerald Green '96 A4 2.8 qm that I bought in Nov. 1995. I just washed and waxed it the other day, and was amazed at the way the paint shined. I looks showroom new! I must point out that I never take it to car washes ... I wash it by hand. The clear coat has held up exceptionally well. Now if I could only do something about those moron SUV (Stupid Useless Vehicle) drivers who put dings in my doors ...

(I know the dings are from SUV's & pickups because the dings are up higher than where a car door would ding.)
Old 01-04-2000, 04:53 PM
StephenW

Default The paint on my 1998 Cactus Green A4 is as soft as heck....

At 25k miles, the front of the hood looks like it's been shotblasted, it's almost impossible to touch the car without scratching the paint, and a few drops of dried rain are next to impossible to remove. It's the worst paint finish on any car I've owned (and the Audi is my 11th car) . //Steve
Old 01-04-2000, 04:59 PM
PaulT

Re: Paint Quality, SUV dings SUCKS!, is just too noticeable and are big also
Old 01-04-2000, 06:00 PM
Peter

Default Better than a Japanese or American car !!

I used to love detailing my 84 Saab 900. Despite 100k + miles on it, everyone said the car looked brand new. It had a great paint job, and it was easy and fun to take care of.

Next I got my Integra. I LOVED the Black Currant Pearl color. However after the first wash & wax, I realized that the car had the worst paint job I have ever seen on a car. It would not hold wax at all. I actually dreaded taking care of that car.
I thought that Acura, being Honda's "luxury" division should have better paint quality.
But many people with Integras and Legends agreed with me. Honda Civics aren't that bad !

Now when I detail the A4 it reminds me of the good times I had taking care of the Saab -- only better !! :-)

Maybe the paint isn't as good as MB or Lexus.
But it is still better than a LOT of other cars on the market.

-- Peter
98.5 Pelican Blue 1.8tqms 1 bar
Old 01-04-2000, 06:36 PM
stanj

Default Disagree strongly

I owned a 94 Accord before and that paint was indestructable. Our old A100 (1985) looked like new after 13 years when it retired. In contrast, my 98.5 Santorin A4 and my dad's 98.5 Racing Green A6 can be scratched by just looking at them.

- Stan
Old 01-04-2000, 07:09 PM
Bob

I agree with you!
Old 01-04-2000, 07:13 PM
larryV

True but it is more resistant to dings. My old accord got dings everytime it rained. :-)
Old 01-04-2000, 07:15 PM
ChuckH

Default Seems to be mainly the darker colors that are soft. The...

...company I work for has a '98 Europa Blue A4 and a '99 Melange A6, and there is a huge difference in paint hardness. The Europa A4 scratches if you so much as touch it, but the Melange seems to hold up well, even when hit with grocery carts. Doesn't help that the undercoat is a light color, so a scratch in the Europa really shows. My 90Q paint held up well after 11 years, but I know the paint processes now are much different.

I hate to say it, but my Nissan Xterra has the best paint I've ever seen. Too bad it has all those annoying interior rattles!

Charles
Old 01-04-2000, 07:25 PM
Bob

True, the metal is "thicker"

Quick Reply: Paint Quality