A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Paint scratched from dealer visit

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-1998, 09:45 AM
David

Default Paint scratched from dealer visit

HI all,<p>Took my 1.8Q in for the 10K service. Is it me or is that all Audi dealer service dept are always busy as hell? Anyways, dropped my car off at 8 am and it wasn;t done until 6:30 in the afternoon. Picked up my car, drove home, parked in the garage, got out of the car, and WTF!!!!<br>paint swirl marks and little scratches ALL OVER THE CAR! I couldn't see them at the dealership cause it was dark outside. I can totally see how the scratches came from. The car was pretty dirty when i brought the car in. From the looks of the paint, the car wash guy just took a wet rag and wiped the car down without using water! I concluded that it was late and the underpaid "carwash" dude just wanted to get everything done, therefore scratching my car! <p>What should i do? what should i tell the service dept? Anyone have a similar experience?<p>I'm very F**KING pissed off..<p>Thanks in advance...
Old 11-15-1998, 10:06 AM
Dale B

Default Re: Paint scratched

Sorry to hear about that. Unfortunately, 99% of the public drive cars that are already very scratched up and they can't tell the difference when something like this happens. They probably use even worse wash techniques themselves, which is why the average car's paint is a mess. It is a rare dealer that knows how to wash cars. It is also unfortunate that the average dealer detail person doesn't have much of a clue about his job. If you take your car in, they might agree to "buff it out." This can be a good solution if the person is skilled and uses the right products, but will make your car far worse if the opposite is true. (Have you ever seen the rows of reconditioned cars on lots where you can see everywhere the buffer went, up and down the hood, etc.?)<p>Personally, I would complain to the dealer (who may say that there's no way their skilled staff could have done that), and then fix it myself. (Use products that have been discussed here before, such as those in the Meguiars line). Also, make sure they keep their hands off of it in the future. Always bringing it to the dealer in spotless condition MIGHT help (so they don't wash it), but you'll have to tell the service writer you don't want a wash (and maybe even put a sign on the dash?)