A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Panasonic 8 CD changer - Will it work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-1999, 11:33 AM
ChrisWB

Default Panasonic 8 CD changer - Will it work?

I just talked with Crutchfield and they told me only the 6 CD changer will work, and that the adapter doesn't work with the 8 changer. I checked the archives. People talk about using the 8 changer, but nobody ever said if they actually got it to work. I have only heard of the 6 changer working.<p>Does anyone know for sure?<p>TIA
Old 02-05-1999, 11:41 AM
Mick

Default Not sure about the Panasonic 8 CD changer, but...

I was checking out the Clair Parts web page (an A4.org sponsor) and saw they had a sale on cd changers for $249. Not a bad deal if you don't have one and it works with the OEM head unit.<p>No, I have no affiliation with Clair, just thought it was a good deal.<p>Mick
Old 02-05-1999, 11:55 AM
Cris

Default Yes, you'll need an adapter...

I don't think Crutchfield sells the specific adapter (or no one has tried the adapter from them). If you search the archive enough, you WILL find at least 2 or 3 people with 8 disk changers - installed and working.<p>You will need a Blitz adapter for the setup to work.<br>As for accessing disk 7 & 8... you will need to use the disk advance (next disk) buttons to access them. <br>How do I know that? I've read about it in the archives; by someone who actually installed it (801) and got it to work.<p>Good luck.<p>Cris<p>
Old 02-05-1999, 12:01 PM
ChrisWB

Autotoys.com has it and says it comes with adapter. Has anyone ordered it from them?
Old 02-05-1999, 12:13 PM
Bill S.

Default Re: Autotoys.com has it and says it comes with adapter. Has anyone ordered it from them?

Yes. I bought it from Autotoys for $235 including shipping and the adapter. Hooked it up in a matter of a few minutes after I found the pre-wired plug (see archive).<br>Works like a charm.<p>Bill S.
Old 02-05-1999, 12:16 PM
ChrisWB

How did you mount it? Did you get a mounting kit?
Old 02-05-1999, 01:07 PM
brian

Default Re: Panasonic 8 CD changer - Will it work?

At crutchfield the 8CD changer is $50 less<br>than the 6CD changer. No sale is indicated. Makes me wonder whether the 8CD changer is lower quality.<p>A search in the archives indicates that the 8CD changer from autotoys (which I assume is the same panasonic model) works fine. Autotoys notes on their site that the random song function won't work with the 8 CD changer (probably cause the head unit gets confused by the extra 2 cd's would be my guess).<p>I'm shopping for one myself for my new Avant.
Old 02-05-1999, 01:32 PM
Russ

Default Installed my 8CD changer from Autotoys last week

It was $236 for everything including delivery. It works great. To get to disk 7 or 8<br>you go to disk 6 and push the seek button up once or twice. The random button <br>doesn't work, but who cares. I installed it in the center of the roof of the trunk, <br>underneath the rear shelf. It wasn't the 30 minute installation every talks about<br>(more like an hour or two from start to finish) but I took things slow and thought <br>everything out. Haven't had a skip yet!! Email me with any questions.
Old 02-05-1999, 01:57 PM
Rob B.

Default YES YES YES ... It Works! I Have It Installed in My 98 A4

Old 02-05-1999, 03:59 PM
Bill S.

Default Re: How did you mount it? Did you get a mounting kit?

Because I didn't have a lot of time, I moived the tools and jack to the spare tire well and placed the changer in the tool well. Put some foam around it to help shock absorbtion and keep it from moving around. Works fine with no skips.<p>Bill S.

Quick Reply: Panasonic 8 CD changer - Will it work?