A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Parking berm mishap...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-1998, 05:14 PM
Eric H.

Default Parking berm mishap...

I drove forward from a parking space today and was treated to the scraping sound of an unseen parking berm. I quickly reversed and can detect no damage. Just wondering what the risks are, how low the suspension sits, and whether anyone has caused damage with such a maneuver.
Old 12-23-1998, 02:36 AM
Martin

Default Re: Parking berm mishap...

Be very careful. I ripped the front air dam (the black piece underneath) right off the car in the first 2 weeks I had it. There was a piece of re-bar sticking out of one of the holes in one of those concrete berms by about an inch. It caught the black piece and tore it off when I backed out of the space. The dealership took pity on me and only charged me for the part (not labor), about $50.<p>I've almost had it happen a few times after that, too. Just a week ago I had to set the parking brake *just so*, and then lift-and-push the car off another such berm to avoid doing it again.<p>98TQMS<br>
Old 12-23-1998, 08:38 AM
Sharon

Default Been there, doing that :*(

My car is at the body shop to fix this exact same problem (parked too close to the "berm" the lower valence got hooked on the rebar). I'm supposed to pick the car up today, but they sounded iffy when I called them this morning. :*(<p>The damage didn't look too bad. Big crease in the bumper below the driver's side headlight washer and the cover was no longer on square so that the headlight washer would get hung up.<p>My estimate...take a deep breathe...just over $900!<p>The cost includes a new bumper cover, new lower bumper cover (the black valence), one new lower grill, paint, labor.<p>Grumpf. Just what you want to spend money on around christmas, but I'm thankful that the insurance is picking up a big chunk of it.<p>Sharon<br>(note: this happend on my moderately lowered A4, probably wouldn't have happened if the car was at stock ride height.)
Old 12-23-1998, 08:05 PM
Steve S.

Oh yeah...blame it on the ride height :-) -