A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Passat Synchro V6!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-1999, 04:18 PM
Oscar

Default Passat Synchro V6!!!!!!!

As you all now, I moved to Dallas and I work for a VW dealership. <p>Well, today a VW of America representative came to the dealership with a Passat Station Wagon V6 Syncro!! It was silver with 17 inch wheels and it looked awesome.<p>Here is my question.....Now that VW and Audi products are much alike, what is the point in buying a VW or an Audi when both are almost identical???? Do not get me wrong, I love my Audi and I rather own Audi than a VW, BUT their products are way too much alike.<p>There is a rumor going on as that the 2000 Jetta and Golf will come with the 1.8T engine? We are supposed to get the 1.8T Beetles in May as well. I think they are sharing too many engines and stuff betwwen VW and Audi.<p>Oscar<br>88 GTI 16V<br>90 Corrado G60<br>97 A4 1.8TQM
Old 04-14-1999, 04:31 PM
Rich

Default Re: Passat Synchro V6!!!!!!!

Was told by a local dealer this week that the syncro Passat probably won't make it to the US to keep the Audi / VW's distinct at least in that respect. Makes sense to me..they've got a hot seller and a sweet car in the A4Q, and want to keep sales going well (at least in theory).<p>Be sure to let us know if you hear of syncro passats coming to the US...<p>Rich <br>'98 2.8Q sport<p>would love a chipped 1.8T Beetle...
Old 04-14-1999, 05:06 PM
BDW

<br>I believe Audi, despite engine and platform sharing, will be marketing savvy enough to keep identity separation from VW. There will obviously be some cannibalization.<p> I can't really understand this idea of VW's to move "upmarket" and challenge the likes of Mercedes, which I have read in several mags is one of their goals. That is a joke. VW should just keep building really good cars, which they are now, and market them to the masses in this country, because Americans will never equate VW with "luxury" status. Too many memories of rusted out Foxes and Rabbits around these parts. They should just try to steal all the Accord/Civic and Camry/Corrola sales they can, and with cars as good as Passat/Jetta/Golf, they ought to be able to make a big dent in the import market.<p>BDW '99 1.8Tqms
Old 04-14-1999, 05:14 PM
donp

Default Re: same but not the same

Tthey may be very close cousins but the Passat and the A4 are very different in character and driving experience. A friend fo mine has been looking at both... he figured he's save the cashola and get a Passat since they were "the same car anyway" but after driving them both he was really suprised how much more refined and more fun the A4 was to race around in.<p>And, as an owner of both an A4 and a Passat I can personally say, without a doubt, that they ARE NOT the same car. <p>The parts list may be nearly the same but the sum of the parts don't add up to the same total.<p>-- Audi snob, donp
Old 04-14-1999, 05:48 PM
Nick

Default Re: Passat Synchro V6????

It aint no Quattro bro.
Old 04-14-1999, 06:00 PM
randall

Default agreed: if u are thinkin' FWD AUDI, or you are going to mod . .

then why not get the passat? The gripes that the passat is not as sporty handling go away if u are thinking aftermarket suspension anyhow.<p>I am pretty grumpy after taking a look at the new Jetta. I still have to test drive though.<p>The only thing i can imagine is that the 2001 A4s will leap frog ahead again. They have to anyway to combat BMW. wouldn't be suprised if the engines move down to VW and make way for new engine line up for the A4.<p>1996 a4 2.8 qm<br>
Old 04-14-1999, 06:15 PM
Alex D

If it is released, then I think people will get better deals in Audi A4s!<br>All of a sudden those cocky snot-nosed dealers can be told to shove<br>it up their you-know-what. <p>Anywyas, it won't apply to me since I've got 2 months to go before I<br>can get my A4 delivered!<p>-Alex D.<br>One month down...two to go...
Old 04-14-1999, 06:27 PM
markbradford

Shared platforms and engines are the reason VWs and Audis are priced so competitively.
Old 04-14-1999, 07:08 PM
BDW

Default Re: same but not the same

<br>Well said, agree totally after having driven both (back to back) before buying my '99 1.8Tqms. I think one of the car mags (I think MT, but can't remember) said it best when PRAISING the Passat as its best FAMILY CAR of the year. It said, "The most amazing thing about the Passat is that retains about 75 percent of the A4's goodness." <p>Seventy-five percent of an A4 is still a damn good car, but it's obviously 25 percent short!<p>BDW
Old 04-14-1999, 09:04 PM
Stephen M

A4 already upgraded in Europe. We will see new A4's 2001 m.y.(Guess). What is story with Passant in Europe?

Quick Reply: Passat Synchro V6!!!!!!!