A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Performance mods for A4 2.8 12V Quattro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2001, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance mods for A4 2.8 12V Quattro?

As I have decided to take a "wait and see" approach with regard to purchasing a S4 (translation, I can't really afford one now and have no idea what the next generation S4 will be like), I have decided to look into making some performance modifications to my 1996 A4 12V 2.8.

I understand that, although quite durable, the 12V 2.8 is not easily modified. Anyone had success in increasing the performance of this motor short of rebuilding it? If so, with what mods? Also, I would like to give the suspension a more sporty feel. What are some reasonable mods to accomplish less body roll, stiffer ride, etc.

I know that my A4 will never become its nastier brother, the S4, but I would like to give my A4 a little attitude adjustment. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2001, 10:54 AM

Default Suspension Mods:

I would go for a either a H&R or Eibach ProKit and Bilstein Shocks. From what the general concensus is here this is the norm for suspension upgrades.

I have a 2.8 12v as well.
Old 04-16-2001, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 180 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Try this site for info and links

<ul><li><a href="http://www.12v.org">12v.org</a></li></ul>
Old 04-16-2001, 10:58 AM

Default Engine Mods:

Intake AirBox mod (aka Swiss-cheese airbox)- This little trick gives you better throttle, response, a throatier sound at 3000+ RPMs, and a very slight increase in HP. I've dont it and it's all good. Consists of making 3-4 1and3/4" holes in the lower part of your airbox, increasing intake into the system.

Filter - Relatively inexpensive, (as well as the AirBox mod) K&N filter is your best best. This greatly improves throttle response by allowing more filtered air to circulate into your engine.

Headers - Expensive, there are ppl who have done this but if you're on your way to an S4 in a couple years, i wouldn't.
Old 04-16-2001, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Performance mods for A4 2.8 12V Quattro?

If you want better handling, the biggest bang for your buck would be lowering springs, rear anti-sway bar, bigger wheels, or new tires. All of these would make a huge difference. The 12v 2.8 unfortunatly doesn't really have any good power mods available. A K&N air filter, bosch +3 spark plugs and a cat-back exhuast would probably equate to 10-15 more HP. Most of the parts I have just mentioned are available from Total Audi Performance...www.tap1.com

Good luck w/ your car!

-Jon Ghenn
Old 04-16-2001, 11:02 AM

Default Exterior Appearance:

Side Skirt - I am currently schedulesd to paint the lower front and side skirts of the body panels to match the body color of my car. It gives a lowered appearance to the car, very similar to the S4.

Clear Corners - Clear corner housings are an approach if you're one willing to do the relatevely expensive one-piece housing conversion for headlights. The housings can easily be found in eBay.

Side markers - Clear sidemarkers, just as above are relatively cheap to purchase.

Tail light consistency painting - Painting the orange part of the tail lights is something several AW people have done recently. Consists of painting the orange lense part of the housing (from the inside) with Testors Transparent Candy Apple Red Paint.
Old 04-16-2001, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i have a friend with a modded 12v.....

He has cat back exhaust, larger throttle body, and K&N filter. And overall, I would almost swear that it is just as fast as a 30v.

TAP sells the larger throttle body mod. I actually got a 30v throttle body for my 1.8t (i have heard of people doing that), but it won't work with my 1.8t since it's drive by wire (and the wife won't let me modify her car anymore).
Old 04-16-2001, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default what kinda gains do you get out of that?

for us non-dbw folks, that is...
Old 04-16-2001, 11:36 AM
Elder Member

Default Look

<ul><li><a href="http://pub20.ezboard.com/fcomputersarebadfrm3.showMessage?topicID=15.topic" >http://pub20.ezboard.com/fcomputersarebadfrm3.showMessage?topicID=15.topic</a</li></ul>
Old 04-16-2001, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not sure.....

I met a guy at an Audi driver's ed event we hosted at Pueblo Motorsports park back in '98. His name was John First, and he had a seriously modified 1.8t, and he said that it helps, so I looked and looked until I found a used one. But i thought the throttle body would still be fine even though I have DBW, but there is enough of a difference that it won't work. Only thing left I can do is exhaust....then it's the big bucks of Stage 3.....and i don't have that kind of money.

Quick Reply: Performance mods for A4 2.8 12V Quattro?