A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

PES Supercharger INSTALLED and DYNO TESTED in my 30V!!!! (VERY LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-1998, 12:23 AM
Again )eom)

The OoNaFag Strikes
Old 11-10-1998, 04:41 AM
Another Drew

Default How's the S4 driveline different from A4?

The S4 is going to have about the same power so I'd assume the changes made to the S4 would be nice for the A4.
Old 11-10-1998, 05:38 AM
Steve S.

Default That is a very good question

What did they upgrade?...I know the brakes are different, but what else is needed to handle 265 bhp?<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM<br>
Old 11-10-1998, 05:47 AM
MichaelB

Default Re: One Major Difference (I agree)

Extra power means extra heat, and over time, heat is what causes the wear and tear. HOWEVER, this is something that, as you mention, is a cummulative thing.<p>The reliability of this kit, or any kit with large hp increases for that matter, will depend greatly on how it is driven. If you are constantly slamming shifts at redline, you are more likely to have a problem than if you learn to drive it fast, but gently at the same time.<p>Tony Ricci really drove it well. He shifted quickly, yet gently. I think it all comes down to common sense.<p>From the careful design and engineering that went into this kit (especially the software), I fully expect it to be reliable over the long-haul. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I can tell you one thing, I am going to have a blast finding out! ;-)<br>
Old 11-10-1998, 06:05 AM
MichaelB

Default Re: How 'bout the power-to-dollar ratio...

I think that one of the main reasons it is appealing to me to have a supercharged A4 (other than performance) is to have something unique. <p>There are quadrillions of M3's here in the Boston area. In fact, I think that to get into Boston University, it is required that you own (or lease) an M3. <p>I wanted something special and unique, and that is what I will have. <p>As far as superchargers go for the M3, yes, there are many available - but they push the higher price of the M3 even higher. Now you'd be talking about a supercharged M3 that was about $10K higher than a supercharged A4. Hey, if you have the money to blow, why not...but $10K is a big chunk of change for most.
Old 11-10-1998, 06:12 AM
Jim Murphy

Default Re: Doesn't that sideview mirror placement seem odd??

5' 7" and I had no problems whatsoever with the mirror placement while driving it. Then again, I can't say that people in the 5-ft range wouldn't have any trouble as it is kinda far back but I think it is more related to the design of the car (i.e. it is not really far back but only looks that way in conjunction with the doorlines).<p>The thing that really gets me going is the fact that the windows don't go down all the way. They stick up just enough (1/4" or so) to dig into your arm if you rest it on the door. That is a pretty annoying design flaw in my book. However, since the car ran like it was on rails, I could possibly forgo such an annoyance
Old 11-10-1998, 06:21 AM
stevebrown

Ahem...a six speed tranny (probably a hi-po clutch...)
Old 11-10-1998, 06:45 AM
Steve S.

Default Yeah...I remember that now...but what differences to handle the additional torque?

Are the tranny components beefier? Nice word "beefier". Are the half shafts larger? CV joints larger? clutch plate? clutch itself? Wish we knew the answers to these questions...cause then MichaelB could start to implement them. :-)<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM<br>
Old 11-10-1998, 07:30 AM
MichaelB

Default Durability issues

First of all, at least 95% of the people looking to purchase a supercharger kit are going to be those who own a Quattro. So let's use the Quattro as an example.<p>That being said, consider that the added stress put on each wheel on a Quattro is 22.5 hp with the supercharger kit. This brings the wheel hp at each corner to a total of 71.25 hp. <p>If you consider that the FWD handles 97.5 hp/wheel in STOCK configuration, the Quattro should certainly be able to handle 71.25 hp/wheel in the supercharged configuration. This is assuming that the driveline is similar up front of course. Also, the supercharger kit, while producing torque instantaneously, is making about 30 lb/ft. less torque than the S4 will be making at its peak (around 295 lb/ft), so it isn't adding quite as much torque as the S4.<p>This is really not much different than 1.8T owners pushing their engines up to the 200hp - 235hp+ range. People have been running chips and turbo kits with about the same percentage increase in power for a number of years without negative effects. In fact, the supercharger is only pushing 5 psi versus an additional 12 - 14 psi on the turbos.<p>I checked the supercharger kits available for the Porsche Boxster and BMW's among others, and none of those kits came with any driveline parts or engine internals. Some of these other kits have been around for a long time and are from very reputable firms.
Old 11-10-1998, 09:47 AM
Brad Bilut

Default These cars aren't even in the same class!

(nt)

Quick Reply: PES Supercharger INSTALLED and DYNO TESTED in my 30V!!!! (VERY LONG)