A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

phonics: OU-DI or AU-DI?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-1998, 12:51 PM
Kim

Default phonics: OU-DI or AU-DI?!

(nt)
Old 11-11-1998, 01:05 PM
Cathleen

Ow-Dee
Old 11-11-1998, 01:08 PM
CraigB

Eye-Uh-Gree! 8^)
Old 11-11-1998, 01:31 PM
Clair C.

Immerhin ist es Deutsch, nicht war? It doesn't have to be pronounced in English
Old 11-11-1998, 01:53 PM
Cathleen

Default Audi, Latin.....

Yes, I do know that the 'Audi' name was chosen by Herr (Mr.) Horch because it is the Latin word for listen and that is what his name 'Horch" also meant. Horch of course, being one of the four companies that became Auto Union.<br>However, it was told to me by a German National that although it is a Latin word, it is a German company and therefore the company name would be pronouced as a German would pronouce it.<br>I don't know, but I pronounce it the way the people who work there do....they outta know. <br>-Cathleen
Old 11-11-1998, 02:30 PM
Poethius

Default Re: Audi, Latin, German, English, ....

The pronunciation of Latin words is different in different countries anyway. The original Roman pronunciation disappeared a long time ago (although scholars have been able to reconstruct it, more or less), but as Latin continued to be spoken in most European countries, the pronunciation evolved and diverged. In English-speaking countries, "audi" would be pronounced "aw-dee" (or possibly "aw-dye"!). After all, look at the pronunciation of "audio", which is the Latin for "I hear".<p>So where does Audi get off imposing their German pronunciation of Latin on *us*? Well, since it's their *name*, they have a right to do that, and it's their judgement that the German pronunciation imparts the image they want to project. It seems to me that, a number of years ago, they pronounced it "aw-dee" in the U.S. Look at Hyundai: probably that name is pronounced "hyoon-dye" in Korea, but they have decided to make it more accessible in the English speaking countries. Still, I heard that they pronounce it "hun-dye" in Canada and "hun-day" in the U.S. In short, it's all marketing.<br>
Old 11-11-1998, 03:07 PM
rickp

You say &quot;to-may-to&quot; and I say &quot;to-mah-to&quot;......You folks must be extremely bored today! :-)
Old 11-11-1998, 03:24 PM
Tim

Default Wenn Deutsh Sprecher: "Aow-di"... If English speaker: "Ah-di", nicht war?

Old 11-11-1998, 04:16 PM
Clair C.

To me, this argument makes more sense than BMW vs. A4...at least its more entertaining ;-)
Old 11-11-1998, 04:44 PM
T2

Default Speaking of BMW.... B M W sounds different in German than in English.

/

Quick Reply: phonics: OU-DI or AU-DI?!