A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Please help with rattle problem!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with rattle problem!

Hi everybody!

After reading more than 100 posting about rattle's without finding an answer, I decided to drop my question to this audi community (it's almost like a central intelligence, e.g. The Borg)

When I start my Audi A4 Avant V6 2.4 Quattro (1-99) and drive around for some ten minutes, something, somewhere in the front of the car starts to rattle. But only when I give some gas. In idle mode there's no rattle whatsoever. Just when I'm giving gas. It's not very loud, but loud enough to be heard. The sound appears to be coming from deep within the air system, at least when I put my ear to the centre grill the sound is more pronounced.

The rattle can only be heard when inside the car with all windows closed. Outside the sound is not noticable. Therefore I doubt whether it is the heat shielding of the exaust. I guess I've to rule out the little fan near the Climate control. That thing doesn't make a sound. It's also not related to the climate control. The rattle is also there when the climate control is on.

The type of sound of the rattle lies somewhere between a boiling sound and a ticking sound.

Anyone could give me an idea what this could be? I'm very pessimistic about asking my Audi garage overhere in the Netherlands about the problem. Even this close to Germany they manage to not do their work properly and ask loads of money for not finding solutions to some prblem I had with the car recently. And more important, they did not even know the existence of audiworld.com! Duh! ;-)

greetz and thanks in advance from someone in Holland.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:53 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Can you pull the radio out to start looking behind the console for sources of rattling?
Old 05-28-2002, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Can you pull the radio out to start looking behind the console for sources of rattling?

Thankx for your reaction. I'll try that and let you know whether I found something.

Oliver
Old 05-28-2002, 12:54 PM
Audi Enthusiast

Default I had a similiar rattle - here's what mine was

The center console (where the radio and AC controls are in my 98.5) is a seperate piece from the dash. The plastic on the top of the console would rub against the plastic on the bottom of the dash. It wouldn't always happen and seemed to be temperature dependent (one or both of the pieces expanding/contracting with the temperature). I ended up putting a strip of electrical tape over the "rub spots" and this stopped the noise. Mine sounded almost like a ticking sound as the two pieces of plastic rubbed slightly back and forth. Don't know if its the same, but that's what mine was.

GaryJ