A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

POLL: $7,000 for Stage III/+, or for a separate "beat-on" race car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2001, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POLL: $7,000 for Stage III/+, or for a separate "beat-on" race car?

What would you do? I'm in a '98 A4. I've wanted to Stage III it for a while, but the thought of losing my (extended) warranty, and or breaking something important in my daily driver is giving me significant pause.

As well, I'd hesitate to drive 'my baby' hard like one would in racing, for the sake of the longevity, and retaining the "nice luxury car" factor. With a separate beast, I could learn how to put things together, then not worry about something breaking at the track and being stranded for the next x days.

On the other hand, MAN what a car a 300hp A4 would make!!!

What would you guys do? I love AWD, so something like a '93-94 DSM, or an older Impreza to build up is kinda what I'm thinking. What would you guys do?
Old 02-17-2001, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Im in the same boat Jake...

I have decided to forgoe a Stage III kit (at least for now) and buy a used Miata. You have to figure what would give you maximum automotive pleasure? To me, a sportscar, espically convertible, is magical. I am looking to spend 5-6k on a 93 or, 6-7k on a 94 Miata. Id prefer the 93 Miata since its engine can easily be turbocharged with a Greddy kit (the 1990-1993 Miata used a 1.6L which was factory turbocharged in the 323 GTX, so it has oil sprayers, and is factory ready to be turbocharged. 94 on Miatas used a 1.8L motor, which has aftermarket turbo kits available, but was never turbocharged from the factory)

The only question for me really is should i put a K04 into the A4 in a couple years, and just be happy with it, or stick with the chipped K03. The 2k for a K04 could go a long way in another car (for instance a Greddy turbo, exhaust, rollbar, body braces on a Miata)

I can take the opportunity to learn on the Miata, and not be scared. Everytime ive worked on my Audi ive been scared, but i want to learn. When i get the Miata i will do all the work that i can myself. Finally, ill have a nice commuter that will save wear and tear on my Audi.

For 7k, you have a large choice in cars to look at. Once i get the Miata, then i *think* ill look for a 83' GTI. You can get a 83 GTI for 500-1500, very cheap, very fun, and very workable car. That would be a great track car, you could gut it and put in a full race harness, etc. At 1800lb, even a stock 100hp 1.8 8v screams...imagine a 16v conversion! A 323 GTX, while extremely rare, is also an option. Other cars include older Integras.

Im not too sure about a DSM, unless you know the service history. If a turbo car has been poorly treated, it could be trouble. Perhaps an old RX-7? Im not knowledgeable about SCCA classifications for track purposes (in terms of what modifications affect your class)

I think that my personal automotive passions (and im an utter car nut) are better satisfied by multiple cars, each of which has its strengths. I don't think id be happy with just one car, however modded it might get. Every car has its charms, and sometimes you might feel like pulling out your little rat racer for an afternoon.

Also, i can learn so much more working on older simpler cars, you won't be afraid of tackling long projects because you have other cars to get your around, and you can, finally, get to know the different automotive communities.

For a little bit of money you can make the A4 great, for alot of money you can make it incredible. It's your call. If i could only have one car, then i would get a Stage III kit.

Oh, get the Borla (noticed sig)

Cheers
Old 02-17-2001, 11:07 AM

$7000 Thats what I am trying to sell my 1990 BMW 535i For !
Old 02-17-2001, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Im in the same boat Jake...

Good choice on the Miata. I'm looking for a car that's more fun as a beater than my 81 240D. It has to be reliable as a daily driver, relatively safe and inexpensive to mod. The Miata is actually one of the candidates. I've seen one with a rotory egine in it at Englishtown that was doing 10s! I think one thing you have to watchout for is the 1.6L is known for bad main bearing jounals. A certain production run had to have the engines taken apart to replace them so make sure you don't get that batch or if you do at least check to see if it was repaired.
Old 02-17-2001, 02:23 PM
Elder Member

Default here's what I'm thinkin'

I would LOVE to have a track/race-only car as well. Then you have all that time to break down the car and build it up with the go-fast goodies. BUT...and this may be just me...having two cars, I just KNOW I'd still be tinkering with the daily driver (in your case, your A4). It would be nice thinking about that track beast in your garage, but I'd STILL be itching to do more to my daily car. I know then I'd have not just one money pit, but TWO now! And spending (potentially) a LOT more on the track car, and not drive it as much? Then I'd only be frustrated. I was kinda wary of buying my Stage 3 kit, but in hindsight I wouldn't have done anything different. I love having a sleeper which makes for some interesting drives to and from work. The car really feels like it came from the factory with this setup. You're right about "On the other hand, MAN what a car a 300hp A4 would make!!!" Plus you don't have to go all-out for the 3+; there is soooo much more you can do with the stage 3 setup to get well over 300HP, and still maintain excellent daily driving capabilities. A buddy of mine just drove my car for the first time, and I had the car set in stock mode to surprise him. He went on and on about how solid and tight the car was. Then I told him to hold the cruise button in until the check engine light flashed twice. Not sure what I was talking about, the light turned green and he floored it. I've never seen someone's eyes light up like that! I let him drive it because he's thinking about buying a new car and wasn't sure what to get.

He made his choice today.
Old 02-17-2001, 02:52 PM

Default My $0.2

Hey Jake --

I had a VW GTI race only car and ended up selling it and my daily driver so I could buy an A4. Simple reason being, I was spending too much $ on a car I only drove once a month or so. The other problem was that my dailey driver was a Jeep Cherokee.

I'm now autoxing my wife's Miata and driving the A4 (w/ MTM stage III) as my daily driver. This is working fairly well, but I still find myself dreaming of the next mod for the A4 vs. making the Miata more competitive. Of course the simple answer is winning the Loto!!!!

Take care,
Rob
Old 02-17-2001, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for the headsup, its the short crank problem...

The 90's and 1/2 of the 91 models had this problem, at least the potential. Many Miata'ers have the problem and are fine, one guy has a crystal 91 with 203,000 miles and has had the problem since get go, but he has been careful.

Id look at a 92 or 93, preferably the 93, so the short crank wouldn't be a problem.

Problem is that 83 GTi is just making me drool as the ultimate project car. Imagine a car you buy for 1500, then lovingly put 3500 into. You would have a car that would beat most things on the road today, be different as hell, and a great all around car. If i only owned a house with a garage, id get it now, but alas, im in an apartment

Cheers
Old 02-17-2001, 11:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Cool...thanks a lot all!