A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Possible solution for "tank never gets filled up" problem.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2000, 05:12 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Possible solution for "tank never gets filled up" problem.

Ok...I think I found a solution to the "A4 gas tank that never seems to be completely full" problem. Barring any actual mechanical problems, this seems to work:

It hit me while I was filling up last week, its a well know fact that starting the car causes the internal tank pump to pump fuel from one side of the tank (quattro only?) to the other, hence the "gurgling sound" on starup that some comment on. I figured the reason for this, the wierd tank shape, may be the reason why its rare for someone to get the tank all the way to full at the pump. So I tested this theory by leaving the car ignition in the "accessory" position while pumping...i.e. the engine is not running, but maybe the internal tank pump would still kick in. I couldn't hear the internal tank pump kicking in over the gas pump noise, but so far on two fillups I've been able to hit completely full both times....

Try it and report your results...

ChrisR

'00 1.8tqmsx
Old 08-28-2000, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have the real answer

I think you may just have been lucky the two times,, and the real problem still exists. The Dealer informed me to do the exact opposite, To make sure the key is not in the accessory position. The only resolution I had is when I insisted on them changing the fuel sender unit,, I had this done last week and it works now ,,the car gets to the full line ,,,,,
AUDI has fuel sender problems period.
Old 08-28-2000, 05:28 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sure...

But, like in my post I said "barring" any mechanical problems, I believe my fuel sending unit is functioning...(jinxed myself there...)...I've been to the pump and "filled it" and never had it actually hit the filled mark. The past two times it appeared to work...

I'll try both ways from now on to see if there is a pattern or if I was just lucky...

ChrisR
Old 08-28-2000, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default me vs. my roomates Infinity G20

I was going to a bar saturday night with two friends (400+ extra lbs) while roomate was following in his G20 with one person (160 extra lbs) in the car. Mind you he always makes fun of my APR chipped and APR exhaust car saying that the chip and exhaust do nothing and that I've wasted my money. He's really just jealous because I let him drive my car once without the chip, and when he rides in it now, I purposely don't push it. So on one sraightaway I decide I'm going to lose him. I went from 30 to 100, when I looked in my rear view mirror, I didn't see any headlights. I slowed down to let him catch up and eventually we stopped next to each other at a light. He says seriously, "I bet your impressed with how well I kept up". What!, I was so far ahead I couldn't see him, with more weight in my car. The only reason he was next to me at the light was because I let him catch up so he wouldn't get lost. Then he follows me around a curve at a somewhat high speed. My car is silent, his tires are chipring all the way around the turn. We get to the parking lot at the bar and he's telling me how his car handles as well as mine with quattro...oh yeah, that's why your cheap *** rubber is on the street and mine is still on my tires. I had to have a drink after listening to more of his BS. Some people just don't get it. Just had to get that out, sorry for the novel.

Ray Khan<p>rakha