A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Power steering acting up.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 03:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering acting up.

I have an A4 (97) 1.6(euro).
A few weeks ago the power steering just cut out on me, then it came back on, then it went again, after checking the steering fluid level it had almost all gone. I topped it up with proper Audi steering fluid but it made no difference.
The car seems a lot easier to steer when the revs are over 2500rpm. Someone told me that it sounds like the seals have gone, and that when the revs are high it causes more pressure and that's why it works.
Since topping it up a few weeks ago the fluid level is pretty much the same. When turning the wheel the pump does make a horrible high pitch groaning noise.
I haven't owned the car that long and there is a chance that the previous owners might have used the wrong fluid in there, I know Audi's are quite sensitive about the type of steering fluid it uses.
What are peoples thoughts and suggestions.
Could the pump have gone?
Seals?
The whole damn lot
I want to carry the work out myself and was going to change the hoses from the reservoir to the pump and I was going to drain all the fluid and replace it with proper Audi fluid. How easy is it to change the seals and do I need any special tools, has anyone done this before, can you tell me about your experience doing this?
What about the pump, it is connected to the multi belt (which I have recently had changed) can I remove the pump myself, is it safe to remove it, or will I need to have my belts redone?
Could the pump be salvageable, a new pump from Audi costs around £200 ($300) and that's if I do it myself.

Thanks in advance

Tha Deak