A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

power steering on brake fluid reservoir and drove for long time! Funny story!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering on brake fluid reservoir and drove for long time! Funny story!

OK i just got to the point that i found out what the hell happened to all my brake system. my nephew accidentally took the power steering instead of brake fluid poured it into the brake fluid reservoir and i drove the car for a long time until one day my passenger side caliper and rear driver side caliper got stuck into my rotors! i tough it was normal master cylinder failure. i decided to do my brakes upgrade with something a little better than stock bought new master cylinder and ordered Adams rotors and hawk hps pads. when parts arrived my dad and nephew decided to start working on the car, they got to the point to bleed the system and my dad asked him to bring the brake fluid and guess what,yeap he brought the power steering but no they didn't poured it in that day.Before all that when i removed my master cylinder i notice that the fluid was kinda different, i thought it was dirty and didn't pay too much attention to it. then later working he funny asked " GRANDPA WHY ARE WE USING THAT BOTTLE INSTEAD OF THE FUNNY GRAY ONE!

Moral of the story. Love your nephew but don't let him f*** your car.
Now back to serious what would you recommend me to do, we bled the system put everything back together and gave it a try i have drove the car for about 150 mile now and i feel the brake pedal mushy/spongy and brake performance has decreased. any suggestions are welcome. Should i replace all of my calipers and lines, what about the clutch and the abs system, is it true that the abs system can get air and can only be purge with vag.com?

I know I'm a dumb *** for letting my nephew to do it himself but this is about the car not to insult or criticized if so keep it to yourself!
Please help seniors!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Power steering fluid will ruin rubber seals of the braking system. Since it was used all the way into the calipers your best bet is to replace everything that has the rubber seals, ie calibers, hoses not quite sure about the ABS. I wouldn't be driving the car, the seals are going to swell and start leaking and then your going to have a huge problem
Old 09-11-2012, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Even though it doesn't matter in this case, spell out the car's year, engine, and anything else relevant in your posts.

I agree with Moose that the rubber parts may swell and possible fail, now that they have soaked in oil. It sounds like the only uncontaminated part is the master cylinder, but if reusing the old reservoir, make sure that it is clean.

All four calipers should be removed and replaced with rebuilts, or at least dissembled, washed clean, and new seals installed. All of the brake hoses should be changed, and the lines flushed and blown out. I'd expect that industrial-grade IP alcohol would work, but look into it first. The ABS unit will need to run to purge the pump, so yes you would need a licenced VAG-COM scantool.

If instead you decide to sell the car, make sure the buyer knows the brake system has possibly been damaged, and say that on your bill of sale.