A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Practical decisions and A4s (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-1999, 10:25 AM
Assimilated

A young member of the Borg?
Old 09-24-1999, 01:22 PM
Frank

Default yes, please tell us what is a Borgward? Is it english?

What's a Borgward? I thought I knew everything.
Old 09-24-1999, 01:54 PM
mac

Thank you! Nicely written and interesting.8^)
Old 09-24-1999, 05:41 PM
Jack Martin

Default Re: DoubleCross

This has been a fun thread. Mostly, 'cause I found out that y'all aren't all 26, male, blond, and living in LaJolla, as I told someone off line. And some are kayakers! Even better!

Dunno, though, Neil --- I'm messing about with some TLC kayak saddles on the stock rack crossbars and am pretty sure I will be able to get a pair mounted. Maybe you need skinnier kayaks? My Pintail's 21 inches abeam and the CLC North Bay is a hair over 20 inches. I agree, though --- the DoubleCross fittings are hard to fit, and impossible to fit quickly.

Back on A4s for a minute --- if anyone's still reading this thread --- I saw a bunch of new 99.5s(including three silver Avants!) at Criswell Audi in Annapolis tonight (when I was picking up my mudflaps). Those guys have always had a good supply of Audis, including Avants, when nobody else had any. Had good luck with them, a fair tradein on my old untrusty Outback, and a better-than-average premium over invoice. Brian McCormick was my sales guy --- knowledgeable, easy to deal with, conscientious. And I think he lurks on this forum, so I've gotta be nice to him. Or do I?

Jack Martin
Old 09-24-1999, 07:24 PM
J.T.L.

Default Actually, they're German (anyone else know more about them?)

I really don't know that much. They were produced in the late '50s and early '60s by Carl F.W. Borgward. The main factory was in Bremen (is that in Germany?) and I think they attempted to establish a factory in Mexico, but that wasn't a very successful venture. They made sedans, limos, and coupes; one of the models was named Isabella. All Aluminum engine I think. Apparently there's A "Borgward Garage and Museum in Reno Nevada USA". Any NV A4.Org'ers want to pop over and take a look? There's a good front page article suggestion 'A4.Org's trip to the Borgward Museum'. (j/k)
Here are a couple Borgward web sites. Neither has a 'history of the borgward' or 'photo gallery of the different models' section. I guess I'm spoiled here at A4.org. The Isabella Coupe that I saw was a really neat looking car (if you think Studebaker Hawks are neat). If I had more money and time I would really have liked to attempt a restoration. Oh well.

<a href="http://members.tripod.com/~CALBORG/master.html">http://members.tripod.com/~CALBORG/master.html</a>

<a href="http://members.tripod.com/~grupoii/Borgward.html">http://members.tripod.com/~grupoii/Borgward.html</a>

J.T.L.
90 CQ, 74 SBtl, 72 510 ordering soon:
00 1.8TQms
Old 09-25-1999, 10:30 PM
Sarge

Default Re: DoubleCross

Geeze, Jack...

I for one am male, 26, blond, and living in La Jolla. Really.

Good comments in this thread. I sold my 91 200q last spring, and am considering a 1.8tqms avant.

My biggest beef with the 1.8t is the lack of throttle response. Did Freightliner make the flywheel, or is the exhaust _that_ restrictive (eg mucho backpressure keeps her spinning)? I haven't seen many complaints on this, but compared to my previous I-5 20VT, the 1.8 is a real dissapointment in terms of throttle response (I don't mean acceleration, just response, though a race car the 1.8 is not). My only other wish is for leatherette and sports seats (why not, Audi??), or real leather on the 1.8.

PS: Where do I meet the rest of the people in my neighborhood? How many are we?