A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Premium versus Regular Unleaded

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-1999, 12:08 PM
Joe E.

Default Premium versus Regular Unleaded

Having recently purchased my A4, I'm a little short on cash. Meanwhile gas prices in the SF Bay Area are high. I recenlty read in my manual that while they recommend premium 92 Octane gas(ROM+MON/2), they only specifically warn against gas lower than 87 octane. I've read about the problem with knocking and realize it may be particularly dangerous in a turbo engine, but if I try 87 or 90 octane gas and notice no knocking is it safe to use? I'd sure save money over time.

Joe
I recently tried a tank of mid grade 90 octane and noticed no difference in performance. At the same time I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish and end up with an early blown engine. Your thoughts.

Joe
Old 09-17-1999, 12:14 PM
Greg

similar question but i wonder about octane boosters...
Old 09-17-1999, 12:21 PM
RickS

Default Depends, at a max of $.20 more a gallon on a 13 gallon tank, is it worth $2.60....

to ensure no engine damage? Give up latte or beer 1 day a week and you are covered.
Old 09-17-1999, 12:31 PM
Wes

Default Get the Premium!

Get the highest octane possible. The listing on the pump is not the actual octane. I read a recent analysis of gasoline ocatane ratings and it found that most 93 octane was actually 91.2! The point being don't take any chances.
Old 09-17-1999, 12:50 PM
Greg

Default Well that's what I get anyway...I'm just curious...

about the boosters because I am going to chip soon and I'm worried about pinging etc with marginal-pseudo high octane gasoline. If I get the high octane gas and add a booster, will it harm the engine in the long term?

-Greg
Old 09-17-1999, 02:08 PM
Drew S.

Default I hate to say it...

But if the price of high octane gas is that much of a concern that you are considering lower octane to save money, then you bought the wrong car. I don't mean to be singling you out, because many people seem to be in this situation, but buying a car that leaves you short of pocket money is just not a smart idea. Your car should not be such a large percentage of your available funds.

Don't get me wrong -- I understand the desire to drive a nice new car, especially an A4. After all, I drive one too. But I bought my A4 after driving bland cars for years until I could properly afford it.

When it comes time to buy new tires, are you going to get the cheapest ones you can find? If you do, you'll be disappointed with the handling.

Anyway, I don't recommend using the lower octane fuel, but I do wish you good luck with your A4.
Old 09-17-1999, 02:21 PM
Matt Daniels

Default I don't know if it's recent or not, but Audi has changed their recommendation on fuel requirements..

This is what is in the offical AoA technical specs for all 2000 model A4's:

"Fuel requirements: Regular unleaded (87 octane), Premium unleaded (91 octane) recommended for maximum performance"

I don't know if it changed earlier or not, but I just noticed it for the first time on the 2000 model specs.

Matt
Old 09-17-1999, 02:26 PM
Greg

same requirement for 99.5
Old 09-17-1999, 02:51 PM
krionic

Default hmmm...I've got 99.5 and it says Premium.

I've got 99.5 and it says Premium.
Old 09-17-1999, 02:57 PM
Greg

maybe it's printed in the supplement...but i use premium anyway.

Quick Reply: Premium versus Regular Unleaded