A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A problem with 3M IHG, please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2001, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A problem with 3M IHG, please help

Yesterday a friend brought his Boxster down to the house for me to help him with some swirl marks that he'd gotten from a door ding repair. So we washed it up and then I went to work with the IHG. However, when we went to remove the glaze, it would NOT come off. We had worked on a small section (half the hood), but it wasn't budging. We buffed and buffed and buffed some more. I finally got my Quik Detailer and wiped it down with that and it came off. I'm not sure why the IHG was so difficult, as I've not had any trouble like that on my car.

On a separate note, I've noticed that sometimes there will be dark streaks in the wax (Blitz) after it goes on over IHG. They buff out easily, but are kind of a pain. Any pointers on using IHG would be greatly appreciated, I love the results, but the ease of use is far below that of Meguiar's #9.

By the way, his car is Ocean Blue, and mine is Santorin.

Thanks All
Old 02-26-2001, 06:48 AM

Default Re: A problem with 3M IHG, please help

I had the same problem, I just removed as much as possible with new cotton rags then washed the panels to dilute it. Worked like a charm after two washes and the swirl marks were reduced dramatically.
I think I am going to try that zaino stuff next time as I hear it is very good.
Old 02-26-2001, 06:54 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default A few thoughts.

Was the engine still warm/hot when you applied the IMG, or was the car parked in the sun when you applied it? Heat can make it difficult to remove many products. If left one the paint for a particularly long period (and in combination with heat), it can be a real b**** to remove.

As for the streaking of the wax, maybe you're applying too much, or it's not completely dry by the time you're buffing? High humidity, or lower temps can extend drying time. When dry, you should be able to run your finger alone the paint without smearing the wax (it should just come up off the paint).

For wax, I use a water damped applicator pad to apply a very thin coat to the car. I find the water helps to distribute the wax thinly and evenly across the paint.
Old 02-26-2001, 06:55 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Zaino is nice, but it's not as easy to remove swirls as IHG.