A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Problem with interior lights dimmer - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with interior lights dimmer - Help!

Hello,

I had a problem with my headlights range adjustment and taken my car to fix. Not only they did not manage it, but when I got the car back the lights on the radio's and A/C buttons, etc. would not switch on with the headlights. I've taken the car back and they discovered that for some reason there was no power on the headlights range adjustment switch, which they removed when I've taken the car to them for the first time, causing the circuit of lights that turn on with the headlights to get cut. However, they could not find out why this was happening so they have installed a new line from the fusebox to that switch and thus "fixed" the problem. However, in this way, they isolated the lights on the a/c, radio, etc. from the rest and as a result I cannot dim them with the instrument panel dimmer. My questions are the following:

1) Does anybody know where the headlights range adjustment switch is supposed to get power from and if possible, provide a wiring diagram?

or

If the above is difficult to answer, is there any way to install a new line from the fusebox to the headlights range adjustment switch which will allow the interior lights to dim with the instrument panel lights?

2) The reason that was stated for not fixing my headlights range adjustment switch was that there was no motor for this on the headlights (the car was taken to a car electrician not Audi). However, the car's headlights were never changed according to the car's history (the car was bought used) and the installation (switch, wiring, etc.) is there and nothing seems to be missing from the headlights unit. Can somebody tell me how the motors on the headlights look like so that I can verify whether they are there or not? My car's lights are the ones with clear glass; see http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/58437/a4_lights.jpg for a picture of them (this was taken frmo the internet, my lights do not have the stripe on the top, they are as came from factory).